Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

FLASH 55 PLUS


The first Sunday of a new month is upon us again, and it is time for Flash 55. The rules of this prompt have not changed: Write a piece of poetry or prose on a subject of your choice in precisely 55 WORDS.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PLUS

I promised to add an optional extra every month, for those who prefer some direction for their writing to take. This time I have decided to share a form I devised (based on the Robert Herrick Stanza which we explored as a mini-challenge in 2012) which has exactly the correct number of words needed to complete this challenge.

Word count: 8 – 6 – 8 – 6 – 2 – 6 – 2 – 5 – 7 – 5

If you feel inspired to work with rhyme, the scheme is as follows:

a – b – c – b – d – d – c – e – a – e



FLASH 55



15 comments:

Grace said...

I took the extra challenge ~ Thanks Kerry and wishing you all Happy Weekend ~

Fireblossom said...

You just had to throw down the gauntlet, didn't you, Kerry? You know I have to do the form, now!

hedgewitch said...

The form made quite a different poem out of mine, Kerry. Lots of fun!

Margaret said...

Gonna try and reach for the form but will be posting a bit late in Sunday. Can't wait to read everyone's tomorrow night.

manicddaily said...

Hey Kerry--I sneaked a peek and then wrote this this morning, and was out all day--at the opera! It was fantastic--The Tales of Hoffman--all about a confused poet. Incredibly good. k.

Björn Rudberg said...

Kerry, it is getting late here.. I will drop in tomorrow and see what I can write.. I love this extra challenge..

Marian said...

So those are WORD counts, not syllable counts, huh? Tricky!

Jim said...

Thank you Kerry. I like your form, I just didn't have time. I did do your rhyme scheme for practice. My 55 includes a title.
This one could be 'fixed' but it won't get done. Perhaps for Tuesday. Sorry.
..

Magaly Guerrero said...

Striking image, Kerry. And your PLUS kept me counting with a grin. ♥

Other Mary said...

Hi Kerry - thank you for continuing the 55, and adding to it. I wasn't able to use your form with this, but I find it fascinating. I will come back to it and fiddle around. :)

Sharon Wagner said...

That lightning is an amazing shot.

Susie Clevenger said...

I struggled all weekend with this until I saw of photo of amaryllis Hedgewitch posted on her Facebook page. So thankful for the inspiration

Kerridwen said...

I'll definitely have a go tomorrow - I've been laptop free all weekend and travelling today, so tomorrow I'm catching up on blog posts.. lol

grapeling said...

super late, Kerry, and I just couldn't squeeze this into Herrick's form ~

https://grapeling.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/saguaro/

been away - I guess the spambots are advancing?
~

Kerridwen said...

Finally posted a blog post with my poem!