Saturday, January 31, 2015

FLASH 55 PLUS


The first Sunday of a new month is upon us again, and it is time for Flash 55. The rules of this prompt have not changed: Write a piece of poetry or prose on a subject of your choice in precisely 55 WORDS.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PLUS

I promised to add an optional extra every month, for those who prefer some direction for their writing to take. This time I have decided to share a form I devised (based on the Robert Herrick Stanza which we explored as a mini-challenge in 2012) which has exactly the correct number of words needed to complete this challenge.

Word count: 8 – 6 – 8 – 6 – 2 – 6 – 2 – 5 – 7 – 5

If you feel inspired to work with rhyme, the scheme is as follows:

a – b – c – b – d – d – c – e – a – e



FLASH 55



15 comments:

Grace said...

I took the extra challenge ~ Thanks Kerry and wishing you all Happy Weekend ~

Fireblossom said...

You just had to throw down the gauntlet, didn't you, Kerry? You know I have to do the form, now!

hedgewitch said...

The form made quite a different poem out of mine, Kerry. Lots of fun!

Margaret said...

Gonna try and reach for the form but will be posting a bit late in Sunday. Can't wait to read everyone's tomorrow night.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry--I sneaked a peek and then wrote this this morning, and was out all day--at the opera! It was fantastic--The Tales of Hoffman--all about a confused poet. Incredibly good. k.

brudberg said...

Kerry, it is getting late here.. I will drop in tomorrow and see what I can write.. I love this extra challenge..

Marian said...

So those are WORD counts, not syllable counts, huh? Tricky!

Jim said...

Thank you Kerry. I like your form, I just didn't have time. I did do your rhyme scheme for practice. My 55 includes a title.
This one could be 'fixed' but it won't get done. Perhaps for Tuesday. Sorry.
..

Magaly Guerrero said...

Striking image, Kerry. And your PLUS kept me counting with a grin. ♥

Other Mary said...

Hi Kerry - thank you for continuing the 55, and adding to it. I wasn't able to use your form with this, but I find it fascinating. I will come back to it and fiddle around. :)

Sharon Wagner said...

That lightning is an amazing shot.

Susie Clevenger said...

I struggled all weekend with this until I saw of photo of amaryllis Hedgewitch posted on her Facebook page. So thankful for the inspiration

Kerridwen said...

I'll definitely have a go tomorrow - I've been laptop free all weekend and travelling today, so tomorrow I'm catching up on blog posts.. lol

grapeling said...

super late, Kerry, and I just couldn't squeeze this into Herrick's form ~

https://grapeling.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/saguaro/

been away - I guess the spambots are advancing?
~

Kerridwen said...

Finally posted a blog post with my poem!