Thursday, June 23, 2016

Bits Of Inspiration ~ Amber Rose Tamblyn

Happy Thursday poets. I have found a very talented celebrity poet I feel will bring inspiration to the garden. Her name is Amber Tamblyn.

Related image

Amber Rose Tamblyn (born May 14, 1983) is an American actress, author, poet, and film director. She first came to national attention in her role on the soap opera General Hospital as Emily Quartermaine, followed by a starring role on the prime-time series Joan of Arcadia, portraying the title character. Her feature film work includes roles in The Sisterhood of the Traveling PantsThe Grudge 2The Ring, and 127 Hours; she had an extended arc as Martha M. Masters on the main cast of the medical drama series House. She also had a starring role on season eleven of the CBS sitcom Two and a Half Men. (You can read more about Amber Tamblyn here.)

Amber is quite an accomplished young lady. I knew of her from different acting rolls, but never knew she was a poet until I googled her name. Her poetry is uniquely descriptive. Here are some excerpts from her poem Laurel Gene.

LaurelGene

Shave off the sheets of my songless childhood success,
expose the rotted age of me now―
My toothless breasts, my hips like a cracked Texas cow skull
hanging crooked on the butcher’s wall.

I was his dark sparkler. A tarantula on fire.
An innocent with apple juice eyes and a brain
full of famished birds.

Here is an excerpt from Amber's poem Thelma Todd.

In the background Debby Harry croons
for a terrace of people titillated for the songs
of incoming messages.
I’m in some charcoal hallway, cornered
by an actress in a bandaged dress,
burned one too many times,
whose cocktail is doing all the healing.

Both poems can be found in her poetry book Dark Sparkler

Amber has the ability to create visuals by using unexpected descriptions, a tarantula on fire, apple juice eyes, a brain full of famished birds. For this challenge I want you to experiment with description. It may be a yellow moon night, but a heroine tweaked, piss stained moon takes it to a whole new place.

Please write, share a new poem on Mr Linky, and visit you fellow poets to "see" what their imaginations have created.

9 comments:

brudberg said...

I love, love these kind of descriptions... I had only time for a small piece, but they are each like perfect little metaphors...

Stacie Eirich said...

Rushing soon to get the kids to swim class, but will take my small notebook with me - to sit in the heat of summer under a pool umbrella and write for a few blessed minutes! It's only in snatches of time that I'm writing these days. Who knows what unexpected descriptions today's small moments will bring...

Kerry O'Connor said...

Always inspiring to learn from other poets. Thank you, Susie.

Helen said...

I am an Amber fan ~~ and her father Russ. I fell in love with him in the film 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' eons ago!

Fireblossom said...

Awesome. Let me see what I can do...

(I can see the linky today, yay!)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

WOW! Susie! Thank you for the introduction. Her poems are sizzling and her visuals utterly amazing.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I just found the line "This is how to die in the arms of a suburban wind." Oh my freaking goodness, this girl is good!

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks everyone! I'm late to my own party. I heading out to read your poetry now!

Angie said...

I liked Amber as an actress. Thanks for leading us to her poetry!