Saturday, June 25, 2016

FASHION ME YOUR WORDS ~ a sailing we will go



“I can't control the wind but I can adjust the sail.”
-- Ricky Skaggs


"Give me of your bark, O Birch-tree!
Of your yellow bark, O Birch-tree!
Growing by the rushing river,
Tall and stately in the valley!
I a light canoe will build me,
Build a swift Cheemaun for sailing,
That shall float on the river,
Like a yellow leaf in Autumn,
Like a yellow water-lily!
"Lay aside your cloak, O Birch-tree!
Lay aside your white-skin wrapper,
For the Summer-time is coming,
And the sun is warm in heaven,
And you need no white-skin wrapper!"
Thus aloud cried Hiawatha
Read the rest here
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


To the waters Toads! A sailing we go It’s time to pull up anchor and write me, no more than 100 words of your best sailing stuff. And should you choose to shy away from the water; let it be still, a sailing experience, in dream or fantasy. Should you choose to tap into your inner child, that’s Okay too. Remember the days of folded paper planes flown around the classroom?





15 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Good morning from Trinidad and i do hope you toads will take to the waters bravely

Remember to have fun

much love...

Anonymous said...

what a great prompt - the Longfellow extract set the tone for me

Kerry O'Connor said...

Who can resist the call of the sea?

brudberg said...

I think the sea is wonderful to write about...

A Cuban In London said...

I love that quote about the wind and the sails. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Love the quote and the song, both of which which I was unfamiliar with. But oh, I was brought up on Hiawatha! Also on Masefield ('and all I ask is a tall ship / and a star to steer her by'). And the thing that comes to mind most is Rod Stewart singing Sailing. Yes, I am entranced by the idea of sailing the seas. Haven't actually done much of it in my life, however – but when I did, it was a great adventure!

Outlawyer said...

Gillena-I think I am a few words above. Sorry--thanks! k.

Gillena Cox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for all the responses so far. I enjoyed all your perspectives.

😄 yes K your last 2 lines counted a +14

Enjoyed your poem and left my comment at your blog

Much love....

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Morning Toads!

No water, so sorry but I do have sailing! I hope you enjoy my fantasy. I found an image I liked and wrote about it.

I was wondering if I might be able to offer a prompt sometime? I used to offer prompts for Google+ communities miss it.

My brother visited California last week it was so nice to see him after 12 years! I hope everyone has a nice week.

Hugs! Bekkie

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for your response Bekkie. Email Kerry concerning prompting

Much love...

Debi Swim said...

I don't sail...so I went all nursery rhyme for you.

Stacie Eirich said...

My sailing took a dark turn...I write about water often -- but not like this. I'm not sure it's what you intended with the prompt and the song (both of which speak to a calmer, nostalgic sailing) -- but thank you. Water is endlessly inspiring.

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks Stacie, thanks Debi

Much love...

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks Stacie, thanks Debi

Much love...