Saturday, June 18, 2016

the sisters Death and Night ~ Micro Poetry

Death and Life ~ Gustav Klimt

Reconciliation


WORD over all, beautiful as the sky!  
Beautiful that war, and all its deeds of carnage, must in time be utterly lost;  
That the hands of the sisters Death and Night, incessantly softly wash again, 
        and ever again, this soil’d world:  
For my enemy is dead—a man divine as myself is dead;  
I look where he lies, white-faced and still, in the coffin—I draw near;          
I bend down, and touch lightly with my lips the white face in the coffin.

Walt Whitman


Today is the day we put the "mini' back into the Sunday Mini-Challenge, and return to the option of form poetry. The object of this challenge is to write a poem in no more than 10 lines (but you may write in fewer than 10 lines all the way down to a single American sentence). You may choose your own form or stick to free verse, if preferred. For those who would like a bit of guidance, or further choice, I have provided a link to The Poet's Garret, showing a variety of sestets.

 The subject matter for your poem is wide open, but bear in mind 'the sisters Death and Night' angle. I look forward to reading a number of short poems, from Saturday through to Monday. The link does not expire, so please feel free to write more than one poem, and a return to comment on poems linked later would be appreciated.


21 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Kerry, I might have to write a second piece, using Gustav Klimt's painting and Whitman's poem as inspiration... That image and those words tell so many tales...

Happy Saturday, everyone. May we live and die as we wish... ♥

Angie said...

Thanks for the micro prompt, Kerry. I seem to be stuck on the last one about texting...as my last text got thrown into this Whitman-inspired piece as well:)

Fireblossom said...

Okay, this is weird....I don't see the linky again, though i assume it's there. Grr!

hedgewitch said...

I will have to brood on this one--a fascinating challenge, Kerry.

brudberg said...

I think there is enough of darkness these days to, draw parallels to both the painting and the poem... dark are these days...

Fireblossom said...

Here's mine. Maybe someone could add it to the linky which is invisible to me for some reason.

http://fireblossom-wordgarden.blogspot.com/2016/06/death-and-night.html

brudberg said...

Your link is added shay.

Gillena Cox said...

I was actually late, as well as early, in my postings today. How about that! i wont explain

Happy Saturday

much love...

Outlawyer said...

Beautiful post, Kerry. k.

Jim said...

I like it, Kerry. A lot. II posted but the picture will have to come tomorrow. My iPad won't meet my challenge, copying the one you have here. It and the words inspired me to write as I did. Not that it's good, but it was what came to me.
We are home now, I've missed returning many comments while on the road by sea. From Texas (by air) to NYC, then by sea to Halifax, N.S, to three stops in Iceland and two in Scotland, to Dover. Then London and Towster (Northampshire), and finally back to Texas by air. 18 days.
I've a few pictures with more to come on my other blog.
..

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Cheers Kerry for an excellent prompt. As said in my post, I really should be in bed now... So and will visit a few contributors and then go to zzzzzzzzzzzz. Will visit all across the next few days either side of work.
Anna :o]

Fireblossom said...

Thanks, Bjorn! I don't know why I can't see some of the linkys. I can see some, and can't see others.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kerry for the prompt and prayer I've needed.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I do like it when the 'mini' is really mini! (Smile.)

Marian said...

Wonderful.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I love this one, a mini poem and death in one swipe! I like writing about darkness sometimes. I may have to do another since it's mini.

Happy Dad's Day to all. Thinking of my dad today he passed away in the 90's. Have a good one.

I've been a writing fool lately and really enjoying myself in the process.

Hugs! Bekkie

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Too much fun, I did a second, "The Scream." I'll be around to read soon, can't wait!

Love, Bekkie

brudberg said...

I had to do a second for the perfect Klimt image.... and maybe closer to the prompt as well.

Susie Clevenger said...

Great prompt Kerry!

Stacie Eirich said...

Oh I enjoyed this one today Kerry - thanks for the inspiration!

Stacie Eirich said...

Oh I enjoyed this one today Kerry - thanks for the inspiration!