Saturday, May 27, 2017

Weekend Mini Challenge: People and Places

Welcome to the Weekend Mini Challenge with Kim from writinginnorthnorfolk.com!

In poetry we use imagery to convey moments, emotions, objects, animals, people and places. Sometimes we can convey someone’s personality through place and vice versa – place through our description of a person. I have two examples to share with you.

The first is a poem by Norman McCaig, entitled ‘Aunt Julia’, in which the poet’s memories of his aunt become blurred with the place in which she lived. It can be found by following the link:  


Image found on bbc.co.uk
The second is ’Island Man’ by Grace Nichols, which uses the state of waking to convey the confusion of a man who is not where he wants to be. Here’s a link to an interview that ends with Grace Nichols reading the poem: https://wn.com/grace_nichols_island_man


Today’s challenge is to write about a place through a person or a person through a place. Link your new poem to Mr Linky.  I look forward meeting your relatives and friends, real and fictional!


13 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

I hope I'm not too late this evening but I've been in bed all day with a severe bout of diverticulitis.
For some reason, the header is't showing up properly on this post and I had to access comments in a roundabout way. I hope that doesn't stop anyone from linking up this weekend and I'm looking forward to some fantastic poetry.

brudberg said...

I noticed the headline didn't come right.. but I managed to comment anyway... Have to do some thinking on this.

Kim M. Russell said...

Looking forward to your response, Bjorn!
I can't work out how to edit a post on blogger. It's very different to WordPress.

brudberg said...

OK.. I have linked up mine, somehow I think my librarian would fit the prompt.

Kim M. Russell said...

Definitely!

Kim M. Russell said...

I worked out what was wrong and how to change it!

Anonymous said...

Where is everyone?

Isadora Gruye said...

What an interesting prompt! I will definitely see what falls onto the page.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the poem "Aunt Julia very much.........will think on this prompt. Whereas I cant seem to write in Tofino, I am back in Port Alberni for a week and am back at my keyboard working.........a conundrum, lol. Will see if anything pops up.

Isadora Gruye said...

Such a great prompt Kim!!! I did two poems....thanks for the inspirado.

Jane Dougherty said...

This prompt inspired me to look up on Google Earth the place where I grew up. I haven't had the heart to do it before. It wasn't as painful as I expected, so thanks for motivating me to lay a few ghosts.

Marian said...

Ahh provocative.

Kim M. Russell said...

I've enjoyed all the poems this weekend - you'e all helped me survive my bout of illness. Thank you!