Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kerry's Wednesday Challenge

Triptych: Poetry In Three Parts

The Aldobrandini Triptych ~ Bernardo Daddi (1336)

World English Dictionary
Triptych

— n
1. a set of three pictures or panels, usually hinged so that the two wing panels fold over the larger central one: often used as an altarpiece
2. a set of three hinged writing tablets

[C18: from Greek triptukhos , from tri- + ptux plate]

Saltaire Triptych ~ Tom Woolley


Word Origin & History
Triptych

1731, "hinged, three-leaved writing tablet used in ancient Greece and Rome," from Gk. triptykhos "three-layered," from tri- "three"+ ptykhos, gen. of ptyx "fold, layer." In ref. to three-part altar-piece carvings or pictures hinged together, it is attested from 1849.


Gingko Triptych in Stained Glass ~ Dawn Lee Thompson


Today's challenge is to write a poem in three parts: each part separate from, yet dependent on the other two parts.  You may select any form or style, from free verse to prose poetry - choose the form which best suits the vision of your final product, your work of art.


Ignius Fatuus ~ Ariela Coco

A while ago, I experimented by writing in three parts, both in free verse and prose poetry.  Follow the hypertext, if you would like to read these examples.


Adde Adesokan ~ Triptych of Strangers

This is not a picture prompt. The images you see here are offered as examples of the triptych form in art, craft and photography. If you feel inspired to write a piece based on one of them, please acknowledge the name of the artist.



22 comments:

Ella said...

Intriguing idea! I love your examples~ Off to play...with this idea! Thanks Kerry~

Daydreamertoo said...

Great prompt idea. Took some thinking about, thank you.

Marian said...

interesting!

Teresa said...

I did love this one~it was a lot of fun.

Herotomost said...

Holy hell...that was a hard one. Keep em coming SA, and oh for the love of Mike...don't make them so easy would ya...lol.

De Jackson said...

Excellent prompt! Thank you! :)
de

Ella said...

I made a lame attempt using a photo!
I really did love this challenge and now really want to make this art form~ Thank you Kerry!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I was all set to work on this myself when an electric storm came up and seemingly hovered over the house for hours, forcing me off-line. (I've lost too many computers through lightning strikes.) I'll have to give it a go again tomorrow.

hedgewitch said...

Definitely been there Kerry. I turn off the PC the minute I hear thunder. I love this prompt, and I have a poem that I've been working on that seemed to fit. I borrowed one of Ella's photos from her Sunday Challenge last month to illustrate it, as it was just perfect. Thanks, Ella, and thanks Kerry for this very cool prompt.

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Very interesting challenge! The whole key for me was finding the link between the three parts, then it sort of fell into place. Looking forward to reading everyone else's offerings!

Fireblossom said...

As ever, a glorious prompt, Kerry. I hope I've done it justice.

Kay L. Davies said...

I'm late getting at this, after a busy, busy day. Too bad the busy day doesn't lend itself to poetry in three parts, so I'll probably post something tomorrow.
Very interesting idea, Kerry.
K

Fireblossom said...

For some reason, this post isn't showing up on my blog feed. Hedge said it didn't for her either. We are still showing Susie's challenge from Tuesday as the newest post here.

Kerry O'Connor said...

The blog feed problem is my fault: I 'published' it by mistake on Tuesday, instead of hitting post options in order to schedule it for Weds. That's when it appeared on the blog feed. I quickly whipped it off and rescheduled but it will not appear twice as a new post.

My bad! I rely on the fact that people check in on RT daily ;)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oops Mary, your link here leads back to Real Toads. Please relink, and I will remove the incorrect one :)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Somehow I missed this - have been tired, missed the boat. Love the challenge, Kerry, you do such wonderful challenges. Not sure if I am up to it, still exhausted, but sure enjoyed reading everyone's. Great work, kids!

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, yes, I was going to mention Mary's link, too.
And I did have trouble getting from one day's subject to the next, like some of the others. Got it last night, latish, and it woke me up during the night. LOL
K

Mary Ann Potter said...

Oh, how I loved this challenge! I wrote about something spring-ish, which we're now having here in NC with temps in the seventies and green growing things sprouting all over!

W.k. kortas said...

Man, did this challenge come just in time. I've been working on this iece for a month plus, but couldn't find a way to seal the deal.

Anonymous said...

love this prompt, Kerry... one I think I'll visit again

Dave King said...

Great idea for a prompt. Has lots of possibilities, I think.

Scarlet said...

Finally linked up one ~

Thanks for the prompt and examples ~