Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chew through your own chains...Out of Standard (Again)



Greetings Garden Dwellers!

Welcome to the next installment of Out of Standard, where I will set before you a challenge to defy the conventions of a particular theme.  I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday, but there is a twist: in order to complete each challenge, you will also be asked to share something about yourself with the IGWRT community.  Let’s move onward to March’s challenge...

WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE

We have all had that job.  And you know what I mean by that job.  That job we hated.  That job which crawled into our skulls, our hearts, our marrow and made us wretch and shudder with the thought of another day “at the factory/ restaurant/ office/ typing pool.”  Today, my muddy buddies, I want you to take back all those miserable hours and glean brilliance from your agony.


Another long day at the doomsday factory.
Image courtesy of Wiki Commons.

The challenge:

Create a list of three words or phrases specific to the worst job you ever had and craft a poem having nothing to do with work.  

Example:  if the worst job I ever had was as a Subway sandwich artist, I may pick words like veggie rotation, footlong, and proofer and write a poem which has nothing to do with sandwiches.  

List the words, write the poem, and take back the power!  Make sure to include your list of words or phrases in your post, so that we can see how well you obscured them with your poetic prowess.   

This will be a two day challenge, as I will not be posting an interview tomorrow, so take your time to read the other entries as well!

Also, like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme.   

Go now, my toads, and bring back something startling, shiny, and new.

Viva la



18 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I'm glad for the classic Out Of Standard twist, because I fairly recently wrote about my most hated job (with a new fictional location) in "A Year In The Factory". I will work on this tonight.

Anonymous said...

Hi Izy - what a fun prompt. I'm in a bit of an exhausted phase but I will certainly think about this. k.

Ella said...

Intriguing...this sounds like a great springboard! I have two jobs that come to mind, one involves grease the other fabric dust.
Thanks Izy
:D

Kerry O'Connor said...

I've had the same job in the same place since I was 21...I don't know if three words will cover my frustrations!

Kay L. Davies said...

Wow, and here I was thinking I worked in the same kinds of jobs all my life, but I can't complain, because I just read Kerry's comment!
Well, I'm going to try, although I'm still exhausted from our month-long voyage (see previous post Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel if you missed it).
K

Marian said...

very, very cool prompt, Izy. got me my words, now to create something lovely with them. :)

Peggy said...

I can hardly believe I am the first to post. My most hated job came to mind for me immediately. No contest--it was the worst! I hate to even think about it so it is good the poem is about something unrelated!

Anonymous said...

Izy, I wrote this waiting for my counseling appointment. My therapist loved it and liked the prompt as well - that idea of triumphing over a crappy job via poetry really intrigued her. This was SUCH fun, I can't believe I'm in the top five. THANKS! Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/03/06/night-bus-nyc-3ww-real-toads/

LLM Calling said...

I approached this with trepidation but enjoyed it as I tackled it and am surprised with the outcome. greatprompt, thanks

Janine Bollée said...

The things we do for money. Sigh

hedgewitch said...

Had a crazy day, but will brood over this and see if my brain cells revive--a great challenge, Izy.

De Jackson said...

You soooo had me at that title. Fantastic prompt.

hedgewitch said...

Okay, I was finally able to twist this up into a short one, Izy--like Kerry, three words seemed a bit inadequate, but I did my best. Thanks for the inspiration--will be back later to read.

Margaret said...

This was really a challenge, Izy!!! You are making my brain work (and thanks for two days).

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks Izy...I needed something to jump start some writing. My pen just seems o have gone silent the past few days.

Herotomost said...

Izzyyyyy!!!!!! I love you man!!!!! Great prompt, not sure that I did it justice. But....Here it is about two days late.

Fireblossom said...

I'm late. I was lost in space, perhaps.

Isadora Gruye said...

Very late to my own prompt, but hey, why not!