Friday, March 29, 2013

Transforming Friday

Salutations to the garden dwellers!! I have your eighth opportunity for expressing poetically the voice of wildlife, (plant or animal), and this one calls for the expression of life in the savanna.


It seems this biome overlaps with some of the other ones that we’ve already explored because it is a transitional zone as mentioned below but that’s okay, I think. :)


Old words that smell of ancient libraries, “Classics Edition of the World Atlas-Hammond 1967,” declares: “The savanna, land of tall grass interspersed with trees, is a place of winter droughts and summer rainfall, the true jungle home of big-game animals.”


Wiki states this of the savanna ecoregion: “It is often believed that savannas feature widely spaced, scattered trees. However, in many savannas, tree densities are higher and trees are more regularly spaced than in forest. Savannas are also characterized by seasonal water availability, with the majority of rainfall confined to one season. Savannas are associated with several types of biomes. Savannas are frequently in a transitional zone between forest and desert or grassland. Savanna covers approximately 20% of the Earth's land area.”




(Via Wiki:Ethel Aardvark Typical tropical savanna in NorthernAustralia

demonstrating the high tree density and regular spacing characteristic of many savannas.)


(Via Wiki:Denis A. C. Conrado Cerrado savanna, Brazil.)


Some threats to the savanna are: Changes in fire management, Grazing and browsing animals, Tree clearing, Exotic plant species and Climate change, (you can read more about these on wiki site if you’d like to).

The savanna animals!!! (be sure to check copyright for the images).

Our long-necked friend, the giraffe...

(Via Wiki: Roland H. The endangered West African giraffe)


Awww...this guy is super cute!!!


Our head-burying and also long-necked, 

long-legged bird pal, the ostrich!! 


(Via Wiki: A. Kniesel head of an ostrich)

Hmm...this creature...
you could give this intriguing animal a voice...♥


(Via Wiki: PD-US author:F. York Quagga (Equus quagga quagga)
is an extinct sub-species of zebra. Mare, London, Regent's Park ZOO)


Okay, Toads, I hope this is fun for you all!

Fresh poems please and when you’re done writing and posting be sure to fill your poetic canteen and visit the words of your savanna-exploring blogging-friends that have linked as well!!

Warm smiles to you all! :)


13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ah, my own back yard. A 30 minute drive from my house could take me in sight of giraffe, ostrich and zebra (though not the quagga).
Thanks for another challenge which asks us to consider life from the perspective of nature and animals, Hannah.

Hannah said...

How cool, Kerry!!! And again...to be a fly on the wall of your life there...so intriguing!!

Thank you for your comment and I so look forward to seeing who everyone chooses to embody this time!!

Smiles and happy Friday everyone!

Ella said...

Thank you Hannah! How exciting-I love the photos and all that you shared ;D
I wish I could visit this area-how transforming!!!

Kerry-I am so jealous :D

Happy Friday~

Anunoy Samanta said...

thought of rainforest, thought about alpine vegetation... but never about savanna... nice theme :)

Tania A said...

Oooh, this makes the druid in me lift her head and ache to spill out words.

hedgewitch said...

Finally, Hannah, I am able to participate in one of your very cool challenges!--may be fudging just a bit, but I think there's a voice from the savanna in there somewhere. Thanks for the inspiration.

I have a busy day in the garden coming up, but will be around this weekend to read and visit.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

My heart always does a little dance of joy when I see Transforming Friday on the blogroll. Yippee!

Margaret said...

Short and sweet and I'm still on a "Poe-etic" kick I see. Thanks, Hannah... I hope you have lots of chapters left in those old books of yours! I love this series.

Hannah said...

Ella!! You're welcome!

Anunoy-I'm glad it's appealing!

Tania-your comment is a poem waiting to happen! :)

You're welcome, Hedge! I'm so glad you got to play and squish some soil in your palms for me...I need to get into the dirt as soon as it's ready.

Sherry! Your dance of joy makes me so happy!

I can't wait to see, Margaret!! Cool that you went Poe-et style again...it is a good angle!

Thank you everyone and I'll be around to read you all as you arrive. :)

Marian said...

hannah, your prompts are amazing!!

Susie Clevenger said...

Hannah, love the prompt!

Fireblossom said...

Sorry I'm so late! I've been wracking my brains!

Ella said...

I had fun with this one!
Thank you Hannah :D