Saturday, March 2, 2013

Today We Scream


Today Toads we are going to join in spirit with women and men around the world and scream. Together we will raise our voices against violence. March has been set aside by Woman Scream International Poetry Festival as the month to raise awareness through poetry about violence against women.

Woman Scream states their mission is to honor women and create a conscious calling against women’s violence for a culture of peace and to take self-esteem messages to women through artistic expression and poetry.

Although it is an event where people gather in person to collectively share their work in public venues I felt we could do our part in raising awareness through written participation. 


“We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.” Martin Luther King


Violence against women is not confined to a specific culture, region or country, or to particular groups of women within a society. The roots of violence against women lie in persistent discrimination against women. Up to 70 per cent of women experience violence in their lifetime. United Nations Unite

  

The following are resources to find help for abused women. Abused Women , Help Guide and  The Hotline

So today we shall scream about this tragedy with words that will draw attention to it; words that will encourage those who have been victimized; words that will break the silence within each of us. I leave the poetic form to your choosing. Please remember to share your link with Real Toads and visit and comment on the work of others.


23 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

My thanks to Susie for putting together this post. It is an on-going battle to eradicate violence against women and awareness is key.

Mixi said...

Thank you for setting aside a feature day for a cause that is close to my heart. I originally wrote this poem as part of the wednesday open letter challenge, but was late in posting it to my blog. This, however, is the perfect place to share it.

Awareness, acknowledgement, action.

hedgewitch said...

Thanks, Susie, for your advocacy of this subject, and for the challenge. Certainly, it's a topic that deserves the spotlight, and all the screaming we can give it.

Susie Clevenger said...

As many of you know this is a personal issue for me. I am a sexual abuse survivor. I worked with youth for years and two of the precious young women I worked with as teens were later murdered. One was the victim of a stranger, the other a victim of an ex-husband. Both were found discarded on a country road. Violence against women will always be a cause I am very passionate about!

Ella said...

Wow Susie this is a great challenge~
Education and awareness do help, as does talking openly about it! So much shame is hidden-yes, let's scream!
Susie I am so sad n' sorry, for what you have endured! You passion is admirable~ (((hugs)))

Scarlet said...

Thank you Susie for this timely and meaningful reminder/prompt.

I don't have a personal experience to share but I have read links and stories to inspire my words today. Hugs to you too ~

Happy weekend to everyone ~

Grace

LLM Calling said...

I'm so pleased we are joining in the scream,such a great cause to bring ourpoetic weightbehind.

Marian said...

thank you, Susie. i'll write and post a response tomorrow, just wanted to thank you today. xo

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Fantastic prompt, Susie! Perfect! I will be back.

Mary said...

Susie, this is a subject that really 'hits' me. My community has recently been struck by two horrific acts of violence against women which have strongly affected me. The first one, which I have written about in my poem, made national news. The second one I am not sure that it did....but a young female police officer was shot dead by her husband in front of the local fire station. Previously the man had said he was 'innocent' but he has now pled 'insanity.' But dead is dead, isn't it?? And both of these situations make me so sad!

Susan said...

Around the world, your scream echoes, Susie. The miracle is surviving. Bless you.

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks ladies. It is not an easy subject to write on, but one that needs our voice. Thank you for taking part.

TCPC said...

Is a bit in this direction but more about celebrating the girl child's childhood shadowed with a mother's fears. I have a three year old dotty...she inspires! Hope it fits the call

Margaret said...

It was very hard to write this today as I am so happy - have all my children under one roof for about 48 hours. I may not be back to comment today, but WILL be back Monday for sure.

Susie Clevenger said...

Akila, your piece is perfect for the call. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Susie Clevenger said...

Margaret, I know it was tough subject matter. Thank you for taking time to share with us. Enjoy your time with family!!

Anonymous said...

Susie - certainly this is an issue I care a lot about, but I couldn't quite bear to write about it head on, so took a slightly different tack. Always important to think about it. k.

Ella said...

I started one, but my internet has been in and out all day! I will post it tomorrow~

Susie Clevenger said...

Karin, that is fine. I loved your approach..

Susie Clevenger said...

Ella, I hate internet problems...my computer is my lifeline to the world. Can't stand it when it is cut!

Jennifer Wagner said...

Thanks so much for this Susie! An issue that cannot have too much attention for sure!

GoddessChhavi said...

Thank you so much for this!

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks again everyone for taking part in a very difficult but meaningful challenge.