Thursday, March 7, 2019

Avant Gardener

Hello, Garden Dwellers!

Let’s take inspiration today from COURTNEY BARNETT.

I adore this woman’s music for so many reasons, chief among them that her lyrics are amazing and to me, often register as narrative poems.

This song in particular tells an epic story that’s a window into a tiny moment but with big observations such as “I’m not that good at breathing in” and “Life’s getting hard in here so I do some gardening/Anything to take my mind away from where it’s sposed to be.” I just adore it.

I chose this live version because of its garden quality but she has an official video for this song and there are other high-quality live versions to be found on YouTube, like this one for example. And many, many other great songs.

If you choose to spend some time with this prompt, I encourage you to listen a couple times and really hear what she is saying. I think it would be inappropriate to copy the entire lyrics on our site, but she has them on her website here, just scroll down a bit and you’ll find them.

I think this is the first song I heard from Courtney Barnett, and now I’m a total convert. Recently she made a record with Kurt Vile that is also completely awesome. Their song Over Everything kinda slays me.

Here is my challenge: Let’s use this song as inspiration to write our own narrative poems about small moments. Or as usual, this prompt is wide open so you can write us a poem inspired by Courtney Barnett, breathing problems, ambulances, being a clever songwriter from Australia, or anything else that comes to mind!



LISTEN * BE INSPIRED * WRITE * SHARE

6 comments:

Jim said...

A fun write, I'll visit Courtney much more later.
My Internet will be McDonald's for a few days, I hope to return comments via my smart phone.
BTW, for ages my oldest son has been play the drums for a garage band. They get gigs (paid) and do some down in the Houston Heights pro bono playing for their charity events. Also do openers for the singers. They play Rock.
..

brudberg said...

I did listen to the studio version.... and I really liked that too... thank you for sharing Music... i hope someday we could sit down and share our favorite music...

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the song! Love the prompt!

Marian said...

Yay! Glad this is resonating. I'll be around to read all of your responses in the morning and throughout the weekend so keep em coming! xo

Isadora Gruye said...

I love Courtney Barnett! So glad to see this video prompt!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the music, Marian.. so inspirational. I am behind in my prompts, work is taking all my attention as my assessments are due but I will be back to prompts when my vacation begins next week.