Saturday, December 28, 2013

The World's End

Happy Year-End, Dear Toads!

One of my favorite movies of this year is The World’s End, last in the hilariously remarkable trilogy (directed by Edgar Wright) that also includes Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.


Why do I think The World’s End so great? Well, it’s belly-achingly funny, of course. It’s also weird science fiction, a win in my book. But in my view, the reason for this movie’s true greatness is the unique and nuanced performance of Simon Pegg as the main character, Gary King.

I am not going to say much about this movie because I don’t want to spoil it for any of you who have not yet seen it (and of course you’ll remedy that oversight pronto). You do not need to see the movie in order to write to this prompt. But trust me, Pegg’s portrayal is wonderful. Gary King is, at first blush, a narcissist pathetically stuck in his raucous younger days when he (supposedly) was at the top of his game. His focus on and living in the past leads to some very funny gags and plot twists, but also creates a sad and realistic character with whom many viewers will empathize and relate.


Our writing exercise today is this: What would it be like if we were stuck in (or have regressed to) the past? Write from the perspective of yourself or another person (real or imagined) who can’t seem to live in the present or look forward; someone who dwells in a supposedly more magnificent or rewarding past time, and behaves accordingly. I look forward to reading your (new) poems!
 

16 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Phew! Great topic to think about, Marian. I haven't seen this movie yet, but loved the other two - can't beat Brit humour.

hedgewitch said...

Haven't seen the film--I enjoyed Shawn of the Dead, though, and I often enjoy living in the past--it's become quite a hobby. ;_)

revelations said...

I am very much like hedgewitch living in the past I am floundering around in the late 50's and early 60's... :)

Unknown said...

Oh so I'm should write about how a I am in real life ...

Marian said...

haha! methinks this struck a nerve, mayhaps? ;)

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie and I agree, Simon Pegg is gifted! Lots of laughs as it escalated to crazy times.. :)

Isadora Gruye said...

though Shaun of the Dead is my fav of the trilogy, this movie was a fitting bow on an already pretty pretty package....I shall ponder and be back with a scrawl out. Viva la

Hannah said...

Thank you, Marian!

Anonymous said...

marian, not sure if I can conjure one up. I did dust off an older piece, not previously blogged, and edited it a bit, for Sunday at the Pantry and Open Monday here in the garden. Maybe it's about being stuck. Dunno. I guess nostalgia is one way of being caught in the past?

World's End is hilarious! Pegg pegs it. ~

Marian said...

such lovely poems! i'm all pleased.

M... i'm fine with dusted-off and whatever. i am having a hard time writing to my own prompt, though obvs it intrigues me. vacation will do that to you, i guess. bring on whatever you got! or not, that's okay, too.

brudberg said...

I had to go with imagination with this one... and it's rather more sad than funny... Happy New year everyone.

TALON said...

Kerry suggested my poem, "Paradigm" might be a good fit with this week's
exercise.

I haven't seen the film. I'm glad it's funny. It's been ages since I've seen a funny movie.

hedgewitch said...

Bjorn, I cannot get your blog to accept my comments today, why I have no idea. But I did read and enjoy it.

Unknown said...

Happy new year.

Margaret said...

Thanks, Marian, for the heads up on the movie. I will have to check it out. I'm still swamped with kids and now a house to clean… :P I will be doing a monthly feature "Play it Again" and maybe I can do this prompt then.

Pealogic said...

Watched this the other night. I think somone should have said no to them, they were a bit too much. Love simon pegg's portfolio though.