Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Out of Standard: Reverse Globetrotting.


Photo of a train accident, Norway, 1921.  Image courtesy of Wiki Commons. 



Greetings Garden Dwellers.  
Welcome back to Out of Standard, where I will set before you a challenge to defy the conventions of a particular theme.  I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday, but caution: there will be a twist.  Let’s move onward to January’s challenge...

REVERSE GLOBETROTTING

Toads today I am asking you to pack up your rucksack, get your passport, and remain at home.   Go ahead!  Brew a nice cup of tea, pot of coffee, or maybe open up that bottle of wine.  This challenge will call upon your sense of adventure and the farthest reaches of your imagination.

We all have that dream destination in mind, a tropical beach in St. Martin, a small villa in France.....places we dream of going often while trapped in the mind numbing repetition of our current location.  

The Challenge:
Write a poem which features an exotic setting where you have never been and (here’s the twist) where you would never want to go.   I am asking that you use imagery to bring this place to life on the page.  My one rule it that it must be a place  on planet earth.  Go now, my muddy buddies, and bring us back something shiny and new. 


KEEP IN MIND 
Like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme.

15 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Not a poem I would ever have written without this prompt.

Anonymous said...

Before Christmas I had a dream about someone I worked with at a newspaper in Orlando 20 years ago. Hadn't thought of him for decades. The other day I read he had died in California. The poem I link to was written for this challenge in 2005 though I didn't know it at the time. This is the first time I've aired it. A verse letter to the Lord of Awfullest Destinations. Let me know if I'm off-base for the challenge.

hedgewitch said...

A wonderful challenge, Izy--I will see what i can do with it.

Susan said...

Whew.

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, the places I don't want to go . . .

hedgewitch said...

Gah. I took this all very literally,maybe too much so, and have managed to induce a semi-comatose state in myself in the process--thanks for this challenge, Izy, and I will be around presently when I grow a few brain cells to see how others have fared.

Anonymous said...

a bit of a twist, but then, Izy, you're probably not surprised by that. cheers ~

Margaret said...

Isadora Gruye! This is hard (for me) - I've started in fits and will have to put it on hold and give this further thought. If I link up, I will do so at a later date, I think. Thanks for the challenge and I'm eager to read these tomorrow morning as I don't like to read them until I've submitted or given up. ;P

Fireblossom said...

Trying to make me write haiku about Japan, aren't you?

Isadora Gruye said...

Crayfish....thanks for visiting the garden. I did read your poem, however, it was not written for this prompt and as such should not be posted here. I am removing your link. Viva la

Isadora Gruye said...

Blown away by all the responses thus far, wanted to offer up my own take.

Scarlet said...

I love the challenge, thank you ~

Margaret said...

I read and commented on them all. The one I wrote is just awful - sometimes words just refuse to jive - so if I can figure out a way, I will post late. Thanks for the challenge - I found this to be quite entertaining reading!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great poem topic.

Unknown said...

I just like some good posts on the net
Dragon hang Gliding Games