Saturday, June 21, 2014

Play It Again Toads!

Greetings to all on this day of the solstice - Summer for the Northern Hemisphere and Winter for those of us in the South.

www.nc-mag.com
Free Wallpaper

The solstice heralds the beginning of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. In 2014, the solstice falls on June 21 at 6:51 A.M. EDT. The timing of the solstice depends on when the Sun reaches its farthest point north of the equator.

 The word solstice is from the Latin solstitium, from sol (sun) and stitium (to stop), reflecting the fact that the Sun appears to stop at this time (and again at the winter solstice). Source

Here in the garden, it is time for us to "PLAY IT AGAIN TOADS!" What this entails is a feature of some of our past prompts and challenges to give everyone a second chance at some great ideas. If the links provided below do not meet with your fancy today, you may select a past challenge of your own from the Imaginary Garden archives. Please provide a link back to the original page on your blog.

For those who favour a form challenge, I am linking one of my favourites, The Robert Herrick Stanza.

If you prefer something a little more open-ended, here is Get Famous.

The final selected prompt is a photography challenge featuring the work of Izy Gruye.

Choices, choices! Have fun perusing these posts, or any others, and write a new poem to link up below.






20 comments:

Ella said...

Thank you Kerry for a second chance with the summer sun as my muse. I am always intrigued by Izy's photos. I think I will plant my poetry with her view.

Margaret said...

The solstice! I should have thought of that. Thanks for stepping in and saving my bum. :) I'll be back to play sometime this weekend. I have a bit of visiting and commenting to catch up on.

Fireblossom said...

I'm tickled you included one from Fireblossom Friday!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks to both Margaret and Shay! Between the 3 of us we almost had three different challenges up for today.. My post jumped the gun, I'm afraid. But all's well that ends well.

hedgewitch said...

Oooooh, a form challenge! and one I don't think I've done. I will have to see what I can do with this--my head is finally starting to clear a bit, so will be back if something sprouts. Thanks Kerry for such great choices, too.

Fireblossom said...

Ha! I saw the picture of Abbey Road on mine and thought, "But I just posted that recently!" Then I realized....this one just had the Beatles, no My Little Pony ponies!

Ella said...

All three choices are brilliant. I was torn, but something about Izy's photo spoke to me. I am reading John O'Donohue's book, Beauty The Invisible Embrace.

Thank you Kerry and Izy!!

Fireblossom said...

Ella and I both chose the same one of Izy's photographs! I seem to be writing from the dark side lately.

Susan said...

I couldn't believe the number of typos I had in this! Blogger Susan said...
Hi Toads! I meant to write to Fireblossom's "Get Famous" but I looked it up, went to see what I had written, got hooked again on the same topic, and wrote a commentary on it instead of a new poem. If you are interested, look for it here: http://susanspoetry.blogspot.com/2012/06/la-mama-ellen.html This site has links to the original poem. For me the time spent was inspirational. Thank you both, Fireblossom and Kerry.

brudberg said...

Summer solstice and a form challenge.. hmm I did an effort.. but still tired after a few days out in the freezing summer we have at the moment here in Sweden..

Unknown said...

I tried the form challenge with the solstice theme...
Im not sure though if my Herrick's stanza is quite accurate... Sry about that...Please enlighten me in the comments... Ill try again!! :)

AntiquityTravelers said...

Oh cool information - thanks for the background on the Solstice - hope you had a great day!

Hannah said...

I always enjoy the opportunity to dig into great prompts from the past! Thank you fro bringing this Sunday challenge to us, Kerry!

Happy weekend to everyone! :)

Susie Clevenger said...

I'm back from my trip. I chose one of Izy's photos to write from. Happy Summer everyone!!

Sumana Roy said...

Thanks Kerry for the prompts..I wrote for Get Famous prompt today..

Kerry O'Connor said...

I am glad there was something for everyone here!

Jim said...

I enjoyed the Robert Herrick Stanza, Kerry. I left my homework doodles at the side for you to check. I did the final layout and not the book author's version.
Thank you, I won't be doing these every day.
..

Marian said...

i love the Herrick stanza, just love it! thank you!

Gail said...

I'm lucky thirteen.

Thanks for the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry==my life has not been my own of late, but here's a new poem for the Robert Herrick challenge. I do not havw a very good photo for it. Agh. But there is it. Hope all well with you. Take care, k.