Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Kerry Says ~ Let's have a Conversation

conversation

noun 
a talk, especially an informal one, between two or more people, in which news and ideas are exchanged.

synonyms:
discussion, talk, chat, gossip, tête-à-tête, heart-to-heart, head-to-head, exchange, dialogue, parley, consultation, conference




[Screen capture] Click on pic to enlarge
Copyright of this poem belongs to the Livingstone estate 

Greetings to all!
Today we are taking inspiration from South African poet, Douglas Livingstone, in particular his poem, Conversation with a Giraffe at Dusk in a Zoo. For this challenge, I would like you to select an animal, portrait, statue or any suitable companion of conversation that can be successfully addressed in Apostrophe.

There are a few rules to this challenge:

  • Use "second person" narrative
  • The entire poem should consist of the conversation, so any references to setting, characterization etc must be included in the words spoken.
  • It may be a monologue or dialogue. 
  • Colloquial language, slang, informal speech is encouraged.
Have fun with this one, friends. Once you have written a new poem for this challenge please link it up below and let's engage in conversations with our fellow poets. 


16 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Wonderful challenge, Kerry! Just one thing...when I clicked on the "second person" link, it took me to the "apostrophe" definition again.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry, I just belatedly did the Herrick challenge, in which I very briefly address "Blue" as in the color, but this is such a fun prompt, I think that I would not try to sneak that one in. I'll see if I can manage it. My life has been overrun with work of late (for my job). Trying to get to a point of lightening up. k.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks FB. That link has been fixed.

Unknown said...

What an awsome challenge kerry!! so often we end up talking to animals unknowingly!! thank you!!

hedgewitch said...

Very fascinating prompt, Kerry. I will probably not have time to work on it today or tomorrow, but will try to come back to it as soon as I can. Thanks for finding these always inspiring bits for us.

Kerry O'Connor said...

No problem, Hedge. I doubt I will have time for it myself, what with this being the final week of exams, with all the correcting of papers that goes with that territory. I shall try to come back to it next week when I am on vacation.

Susan said...

The David Livingston poem is luscious, Kerry. It made me laugh and say yes, yes, remembering innocence and first meetings. Thank you. I hope to be back ...

humbird said...

Cool prompt, Kerry! Also, found fun art to go with...Thanks!

Susan said...

I cannot believe how long this took to write! Revision after revision! Thank you for the challenge, Kerry. This is how one speaks with an ancient holy Kitty, genuflecting and petting non-stop.

avalon said...

Irresistible and absolutely lovely to do.Thank you so much.
Made me laugh, and I needed a laugh.

Lolamouse said...

Very cool prompt, Kerry. I'm still catching up from my week away but will try to write something soon for this. In the meantime, a link to one of my favorite "Conversation" poems: A Letter To My Dog Exploring the Human Condition by Andrea Gibson:

http://youtu.be/SMeTA9-zMuk

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry--this ended up being more serious than I originally thought. On the other hand, I used TWO Herrick stanzas! Ha! Thanks, as always. K.

Margaret said...

11:45 pm - first time I've had to sit down in two days (well, other than behind a car wheel!) If this glass of wine makes me sleepy before I finish my poem, I will be back to submit later this weekend. I like this idea. Thanks!

Jim said...

This is a nice Challenge, Kerry. It was a fun write, I knew my picture and worked the dialog while doing other things this afternoon. It isn't romantic or sensuous or fancy but I entered you a poem or sorts.
Thank you,
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

@Lolamouse. That is the most amazing poetry performance. Had me in tears, of course, but what is poetry if not the feeling of utmost catharsis?

Lolamouse said...

Kerry,

Finally wrote mine-inspired by Andrea Gibson's letter to her dog. I think anyone who's ever had a dog would be moved by her poem. It gets me every time!