Saturday, June 28, 2014

Avant-Edge: A Sunday Challenge

It is the fifth Sunday of the month, which means it is time for something Avant-Garde.


Andy Warhol ~ Pine Barren Tree Frog II (1983)
wikiart.org under Fair Use Principles

Unfortunately, Sam Edge is unable to present this month's meme due to his being on sabbatical from poetry blogging. Therefore, I have stepped into the fray once again. My task was made a whole lot easier, when I visited Verse Escape this morning and read Hedgewitch's latest poem, Not Love. There I was struck, not only by the power of the piece but also by the footnote, in which she describes her poem thus:

A contrarian ten-line stanza form I just invented, and a poem for no prompt whatsoever.

I thought, "How avant-garde!" and thus, today's challenge was engendered. 

Write a poem for no prompt whatsoever. You may create your own stanza form, if you wish to or be quite contrary and throw form to the wind. Remember the basic precepts of the school of avant-garde art is to be innovative, ahead of your times, bold, courageous and visionary. 



15 comments:

hedgewitch said...

Thanks for the nod, Kerry. Who knew I was so avant-garde? I will have to see if I can repeat my unintentional success. ;_)

Scarlet said...

Thanks for the inspiration Kerry & Hedge ~ I was thinking of writing for the prompts I missed this week but alright - write as if there is no prompt then ~ I will be back ~

Grace

Fireblossom said...

How cool is this? Let me see what I can cook up.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry--I too very much liked Hedge's poem. I was working on some things today--not for prompts--but they are all prose, and I fear a bit lengthy and not really avant garde at all--so I don't know-I may go for the aspect of this which is no prompt at all, or for the hint of the avant garde prompt. Will see. Thanks as always for the inspiration, whether or not I can rise to the occasion! k.

brudberg said...

Ah.. Yes I cooked up something right before bedtime... Being slightly drunk .. It might help. Or not

Kerry O'Connor said...

Alcohol and poetry has worked for many famed poets, Bjorn!

Susan said...

Having "taught" experimental avant-edge theatre, I couldn't not take this challenge there. Thanks, Kerry!

Kenia Santos said...

Good morning Toads, I'm officially on vacation starting tomorrow and will have lots of time to write and read you my dear. :)

Kerry, thanks for the heads up.

Susan, happy birthday!

Kiss you all.

author.nara.malone said...

Thanks for a perfect prompt.

Kerry O'Connor said...

@Nara While your use of metaphor was indeed innovative, this is a poetry site, not for creative writing in general.

Mark Kerstetter said...

This prompt/nonprompt suits me just fine today.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Kerry, I envy the inventive. Now I'll go see what I'm not. This was a hard challenge, too hard for the time I had to spend.
But thanks anyway, you are trying to keep us sharp.
..

Susie Clevenger said...

A prompt without a prompt, love it Kerry and Hedgewitch. I didn't come up with my own poetry form, but I wrote the poem first and then found the video. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry--I did another one that I thought was more edgy in that I combined rather silly drawings. I don't know if that is edgy, but maybe not the norm exactly.

I won't link as I don't know if it's okay to have two. I also need to visit around. Thanks!