Thursday, October 19, 2017

Awhape me!


Hello all...tis The Scibbler here for a second edition of 'Scribble It.'

What better beginning for a plethora of poets than a multitude of wordageables?

Experts at the University of York have complied a list of 30 words from the English language that have fallen out of our consciousness and conversation that might conceivably make a comeback.

What better place to put that to the test than The Imaginary Garden? Here are those very words and their meaning.

Ambodexter: One who takes bribes from both sides.
Betrump: To deceive, cheat; to elude, slip from ( I know right?)
Coney-catch: To swindle, cheat, to trick, dup, deceive
Hugger-mugger: Concealment, secrecy
Nickum:  A cheating or dishonest person
Quacksalver: A person who dishonestly claims knowledge of or skill in medicine, a pedlar of false cures.
Rouker: A person who whipers or murmurs, who spreads tales or rumours
Man-millinery: Suggestive of male vanity or pomposity
Parget: To daub or plaster the face or body with powder or paint
Snout-fair:Having a fair countenance; fair-faced, comely, handsome
Slug-a-bed: One who lies long in bed through laziness
Losenger: A false flatterer, a lying rascal, a deceiver
Momist: A person who habitually finds fault. a harsh critic
Peacockize: To behave like a peacock; esp. to pose or strut ostentatiously
Percher: A person who aspires to a higher rank or status; an ambitious or self-assertive person
Rouzy-bouzy: Boisterously drunk
Ruff: To swagger, bluster, domineer. To ruff it out/ to brag or boast of a thing
Sillytonian: A silly or gullible person, esp. one considered as belonging to a notional sect of such people
Wlonk: Proud, haughty/Rich, splendid, fine, magnificent: in later use esp. as a conventional epithet in alliterative verse ( N. A fair or beautiful one)
Fumish: Inclined to fume, hot-tempered, irascible, passionate; also charectorised by or exhibiting anger or irascibility
Awhape: To amaze, stupefy with fear, confound utterly
Hugge: To shudder, shrink, shiver, or shake with fear or with cold
Merry-go-sorry: A mixture of joy and sorrow
Stomaching: Full of maalignity; given to cherish anger or resentment
Swerk: To be or become dark; in Old English often, to become gloomy, troubled or sad
Teen: To vex, irritate, annoy, anger, enrage/ To inflict suffering upon; to afflict, harass; to injure, harm
Tremblable: Causing dread or horror; dreadful
Wasteheart: Used to express grief, pity, regret, disappointment or concern: 'alas!' 'woe is me!' Also a wasteheart-a day, wasteheart of me
Dowsable: Applied generically to a sweetheart, 'lady-love'
Ear-rent: The figurative cost to a person of listening to trivial or incessant talk


So the task ahead is clear. Pick one or two or a dozen of those words and pen a poem. Not inspired by them? OK! Do your own research and find words that we do not currently employ in conversation and put them into a poem instead. Link the words to their meaning if you would.

I look forward to reading your revivalist tomes. Link up below and please visit each other and comment. We all love a visit.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning all. My schedule did not work so I am posting manually.I think it's the right date and time. Fingers crossed. Look forward to reading. First though...coffee.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I apologize for my absence, friends. I have had a hectic working week and I regret I have had little time to even relax and read a few poems.

Marian said...

Paul, I love some of these words! I still use slug-a-bed on the regular. :)
My poem had a particular story to tell but I feel inspired by some of the other words you've shared and hope to write more with these. Thank you!

Vivian Zems said...

Great prompt Paul. I've done one and apologise in advance if I've offended anyone. Looking forward to reading all your poems!

Anonymous said...

No apologies needed Kerry. I'll find myself in a similar boat these next two weeks.....ps..can we add a 'scribble it' label to the left hand menu?

brudberg said...

Betrump sounds especially fitting...

tonispencer said...

These sound very English/Scottish/Irish. I'm going to work about some of our obscure Southern American words instead since they are almost as picturesque as these and old as the hills. I'll be back later after I visit over at my home base at dVerse and do some reading of these and commenting.

Jazzbumpa said...

Old words - eh!

Well - I'm an old man, so . . .

namaste
JzB

Magaly Guerrero said...

I just can't believe that Wlonk and Fumish went out of style. Those are such perfect words. I ended up dancing with Merry-go-sorry, but... I suspect I'll steal a few others some time soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the fantastic efforts folks.Seems like the old could indeed become the new.

Gillena Cox said...

An exciting prompt!!!

much love...

Margaret said...

Fun. I will be participating late...

Susie Clevenger said...

Cool prompt! Thanks

purplepeninportland.com said...

This was quite a challenge, Paul! I had fun with it.

wishfulpennywell said...

very cool idea for a prompt

Namratha said...

Late to the challenge, but was too much fun to resist!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing all.I'm so wlonked with the outcome ;)