Saturday, October 14, 2017

Fussy Little Forms: Shadorma

Greetings, Friends. Marian here, excited to host a weekend mini-challenge (which I have not done before!) and give thanks to Magaly and Kerry for the opportunity to step in. 

I was thinking about how I’ve been a bit stuck lately, not very productive, finding it challenging to write for many reasons--some of which I am certain are affecting other Toads as well. And I know that sometimes trying to write in tight verse or constrained lines can help get me going when I’m stuck. So, you are invited to join me in a monthly exercise focused on short and/or fussy form poems. I’ll try to find new (to me, anyway) forms and we’ll also revisit some that have been presented in the Garden previously.

Let’s start off easy! No rhyming today, just a simple six-line poem with a syllable count: the SHADORMA. Kerry introduced the shadorma back in 2012 and I find it very rewarding and fun to play with. The rules are simple:

  • A six-line poem (or series of six-line stanzas)
  • Syllable count by line: 3-5-3-3-7-5
  • Not rhymed


Check out Kerry’s shadorma post for examples and ideas (plus lovely photos). I’ve written a bunch which you can view here if you like. I don’t know why some of mine have more than six lines, but what the heck. And, apologies in advance to you-know-who, as the shadorma is really a glorified/extended haiku.

Okay, ready? Shadorma away! If you are like me, this little form might get addictive, so please feel free to link up as many shadormas as you like. I can’t wait to read them all.



22 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Didn't the Knack do a song about this? Laffin @ "you know who"! Thanks. ;-)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Been practicing the form all day💕 hope I got it right. Happy Weekend, everyone!💕

Marian said...

Haha xo FB!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I did one forwards and backwards. Thanks, Marian.

tonispencer said...

Since I have been writing Japanese poetic forms for years, I am used to these wonderful short forms. although I have not done a shadorma.

tonispencer said...

PS thank you Marian for this prompt!

Fireblossom said...

^^^Toni Spencer, my Oriental short form hero! :-)

tonispencer said...

And I am a short short former - 4'10" tall!!!!!

Fireblossom said...

I guess that makes us the long and short of it, Toni. I am 5-11!

brudberg said...

Nice to have a try at this... a bit dark here in Scandinavia...

Vivian Zems said...

Hi Marian,thanks for hosting. I love this form but need more practice.
Take care!

Carrie Van Horn said...

Thank you Marian! I don't usually do forms or non rhyme so this was a step out of my comfort zone. Hope I did okay. It was fun though!!

Anonymous said...

Love the Shadorma!

Isadora Gruye said...

What a cool idea for a reoccurring prompt. Thanks for hosting!

Susie Clevenger said...

This is a form I can attempt. For me many forms leave me trying to interpret a foreign language.

Anonymous said...

Late to play but posted now. My Sharona was the Knack song @Fireblossom.

Anonymous said...

which I'm sure you knew ;)

Outlawyer said...

Marian--sorry to be so absent; I've not been feeling very well and very busy. Take care, k.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Coming a little late to this party, but very happy to play with shadorma again.

Sreeja said...

Just tried the form, going on a trip.... will try my best to read the poems on the way......

Angie said...

Thank you

Cressida de Nova said...

You are right...this form is addictive. One of my favourites. Thank you for the prompt.