Thursday, June 28, 2012

look at what's goin' down

Hello, Toads. Today I have for you a treat, what I think of as a delectable candy-store confection. The Jayhawks write and perform perfect roots-pop songs featuring infectious melodies, complex harmonies, and heady lyrics, reminiscent of Gram Parsons and the Everly Brothers. A mix-CD of Jayhawks songs always travels with me in heavy rotation in my car, where I love to let the music flow over and wrap around me.


Formed by Mark Olson, Gary Louris, Marc Perlman and Norm Rogers in 1985, a time when Husker Du, The Replacements, Soul Asylum, and Prince also came out of the Minneapolis music scene, The Jayhawks are not quite country music, not quite rock. Referred to as "Hank Williams on speed," The Jayhawks were named after "Levon and the Hawks," Bob Dylan's backing band in the 1960's before they became The Band. In various incarnations over the years, The Jayhawks have represented a fusion of rock, country, and folk influences into a sound that is timeless, modern, and quintessentially American. (From The Jayhawks' bio page on their website, click for more detail.)


Our song for today is the "Blue," from the 1995 record Tomorrow the Green Grass. "Blue" is a beautiful song with fascinating lyrics that somehow catch me by surprise no matter how many times I listen. Here are the lyrics, and you can listen to the studio version of "Blue" here. Enjoy the song (and young Jon Stewart, bonus!), explore the music of The Jayhawks if you're so moved, and listen to your muse. I look forward to reading! 

20 comments:

Cloudia said...

"Graham Parker" snared me!



Aloha from Honolulu,
Comfort Spiral
> < } } ( ° >

Janet Martin said...

Thank-you for sharing the Jayhawks. They are new for me but I really enjoyed the song...and the prompt sort of fit my sentimentality tonight:)

Janet Martin said...

sorry for the two-fer...they struck a chord tonight:)

Susan said...

Thank you for this fun challenge, Marion. The song hit a nerve! I had planned to sleep at 11 pm Eastern, but this idea would not let me alone and so it is already my birthday. I'm now 61 years young. A Whitman freak, I have tried more with rhyme and meter this month than in the last 10 years! I'm sure I will grope back to the comfortably long lines eventually.

Marian said...

happy birthday, Susan!!!! xoxo

Daydreamertoo said...

Good song Marian. Blue is my most fav colour, always has been.
Great prompt :)

Maude Lynn said...

Sorry about the double link. Mr. Linky went a little wild on me.

Great prompt, Marian! I love the Jayhawks.

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks Marion for the prompt. Music always gets my muse to speak. I chose another Jayhawks song to create my piece.

Marian said...

yay! so glad you like this one. i just love this song, love love love.

i'm having a crazy busy day at work so probably won't be able to visit everyone until later. just saying, i'm paying attention and will be around! xoxoxoxxxxxxxxxxx

Fireblossom said...

MZ--I think Kerry and I must have both been in there fixing your link at the same time. In any case, it's fixed!

Helen said...

Minneapolis was my home for 24 years, I've had the pleasure of seeing Prince many times around the city .. Husker Du and The Replacements always drew huge crowds!
Jon Stewart ~~ as a youngster??? Be still my heart! I LOVE him.

Great prompt.

Marian said...

omg Helen, i saw both prince and husker du when i was a youngster (eh, college anyway) and hell to the yes! never got to see the replacements. but be still my heart, i love YOU.

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

Marian!! Thank you for the great prompt!! One of these days I'll comment with the correct name attached to the prompt! Smiles!!

Marian said...

hey Toads, i'm breaking the rules and posting an older poem... i was reading your comments and remembered that i have this one that directly references a different Jayhawks song. it's nicey, i think, check it out! xoxo

rosemary mint said...

"Always thought I was someone
Turned out I was wrong"

Awesome.

vivinfrance said...

Not really my kind of music, but the first line of the lyric sparked something in me. I'm off now to read the rest.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I've been thinking how songs tie us to people we have loved, and a few lines ran away with me.. which should suit Marian all too well.

Marian said...

:)
that's the line that smacks me every time i hear it... "always thought i was someone, turns out i was wrong." and also, "it's hard to sing with someone who won't sing with you."

Dulce said...

I am liking this.
Must admit had never heard of them before and Now I like their music but- honestly- not that much- anyway, the challenge and prompt deserved a try.

thanks
D.