Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday Challenge: Poetic Images, Poetic Ponderings

Hello dear Toads!  Shanyn here, I am hosting our Tuesday Challenge with the photographically and poetically gifted Margaret Bednar from Art Happens 365.

I had the chance to ask her to join us for a challenge, and well I challenged her.  Hope she forgives me for putting her through the paces on two artistic fronts in one challenge.

The challenge, which she so wonderfully accepted, was to use photos as part of a poem.  By letting the image speak they could become more than accompaniment but actually be an integral part of the poetic process.  Her photos are so poetic, and her words are so full of vibrant images.  It seemed like a perfect challenge.  Even though she was on the road, on a borrowed computer and feeling pressured she rose to the challenge with much grace.

This is what Margaret did for us...and WOW!  I'm totally blown away!  Thank you Margaret for this!

Be sure to visit Margaret at her other blogs:







"Mother Nature"

Lavender mint
tingles my tongue
and soothes my skin

A refreshing beauty, shared.

"Patience"

A busy bee 
seems a silly metaphor

until I attempt
to capture its action

100 photos, 1 hour
2 worth keeping


"Aphrodisiac"

I walk upon oyster shells

imagine I'm Aphrodite
arising from the sea
riding waves of royal purple

into the arms of my beloved.


"Do I Believe?"

Of things curious I spy

Wonder if my imagination
is playing tricks on me...

red fairy mushrooms
and small hidden doors?



"Happily Ever After"

Two by two 
they fluttered and swooped
infatuated
and sailed off
into a blue, cloud-filled sky


"Show Off"

Sapphire blue
whispers about the blooms
lifting everyones spirits,
pausing for an instant
collecting "Ooohs" and "Aaahs"
before fluttering off
in search of more.



"Eye of the Beholder"

She called you "common"
but framed in white,
burnt orange wings
glistening in the sun,
you took my breath away.



"Nature's Theme Park"

Swaying to and fro
a roller coaster ride of sorts
I enjoyed your struggle,
your determination,
all the while
glad my feet
were firmly planted
upon the ground.



"Sunday"

A simple beauty
reaches toward the sky
in praise and thanks
to its maker.



Yellow upon yellow
bee-dazzling



Serenity is...

a picnic beneath
grandma's quilts upon a line
or reading in a whicker rocker
upon her shaded porch

as always all words and images are copyright, and are reproduced here with permission...

27 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

Shanyn, what a wonderful challenge..and Margaret your words and images are breath taking. I am in awe.

my heart's love songs said...

great challenge, Shanyn ~ Margaret your poetry and photography {and art} are always stunning!

a lovely start to my Tuesday. thank you both.


dani

Fireblossom said...

I like Ms. Tiger Swallowtail. She's set off perfectly against the bloom she's investigating.

I also really like the last one. Margaret, you have such a talent for photographing rooms and furniture and making it feel as if someone just left or is standing just out of the frame. There is life there, humming.

As always, Margaret's photography is amazing. Thanks, Shanyn, for challenging her!

Lolamouse said...

What a fantastic challenge! And Margaret, you rose to it wonderfully! Your photos are so delightful! I could look at them for hours! The short poetry is a perfect complement. It doesn't detract from the photo but enhances it. Bravo!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Oh, how beautiful!!! I'm truly impressed!!!

Susan said...

My favorite is "Serenity is . . . "
but as a whole, I'd want your book on my table!

De Jackson said...

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Love them all, Margaret. But bee-dazzling will have me smiling all day. :)


de
www.whimsygizmo.wordpress.com

Marian said...

truly stunning! wow.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is an absolute delight from start to finish and I had many wow moments which have left me open-mouthed in admiration. It's not easy for me to pick a fave, but I liked your observation about the bees and that what may be called "common" is very rare in beauty indeed.

Shanyn, this was a marvellously creative challenge and perfect for Margaret.

Mystic_Mom said...

Margaret was wonderful! Thanks for sharing your brilliant photos and words!

Unknown said...

Wow! I totally enjoyed all the images and verses - but Patience was my favourite! Busy bee never made more sense till I read that piece!

hedgewitch said...

As always Margaret, your photography is stunning, simple in focus, and amazingly effective at capturing an image that creates a mood. I love all these--any one would be a delight to write to. Thanks, Shanyn, and Margaret.

Ella said...

This was gorgeous tied with a brilliant bow! I love nature; you exposed all it's offerings basked in a glorious view~ I love this challenge...and all the elements you offered! BEEutiful~

Karen said...

A superb response to a great challenge. Absolutely amazing photos and poems Margaret!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Margaret, this was breathtaking from start to finish. Glorious photos and moments captured and your words accompanied them perfectly. I love the quilts on Grandma's clothesline, and her front porch with the wicker............it does seem like someone just stepped out of the photo. This was pure delight from beginning to end........a wonderful challenge, wonderfully executed. Thank you both so much.

the wild magnolia said...

this
was
so much
fun.

Maude Lynn said...

These are breathtaking, Margaret. Every one of them.

Scarlet said...

Thanks for the wonderful challenge Shanyn ~

Margaret, the photographs are stunning along with your serene words ~ I specially like your idea of serenity ~

Peggy said...

Great challenge, both of you! I am not sure how I would approach this challenge but i will give it some serious thought.

Margaret said...

Wow. What an amazing surprise to find all this praise (I'm tearing up :). One of my daughters and I have just finished visiting Antietam, MD where the bloodiest day of the Civil War took place. I can't wait to share my photos with you.

Again, thank you for making this garden of toads a lovely place to linger.

Barbara said...

This post is wonderful. I'm not sure if I love the poetry or the photos more. Thank you for sharing this.

Kay L. Davies said...

Incredible, Margaret, both your words and your photos. You are a true artist.
K

Laurie Kolp said...

Margaret- This is stunning. I am in awe. Thank you so much for this wonderful treat. I especially like Aphrodisiac and Do I Believe?

Herotomost said...

How beautiful are those photos, and the words so light and fanciful, perfect of the subject matter. I believe you crushed the challenge...really....crushed it.

Hannah said...

Oh, my!!! Amazing!! Margaret, I'm so in awe of the beauty you capture in both image and words!!

Such a great challenge and response. Perfectly medicinal to my heart right now.

Thank you both. Smiles!

Crafty Green Poet said...

very nice combination of words and photos!

rosemary mint said...

These images are un-be-liev-able. I am amazed at the color, crispness, and closeness. Fantastic work.

I love "Aphrodisiac" and these lines of the following poem:

"red fairy mushrooms
and small hidden doors"

What lovely presentation.