Wednesday, March 25, 2015

....An Old Man's Fancy









"When its spring time in Alaska... it's 40 below" or so the song says.  Many of my awesome Toad friends have been feeling the pain this year, waiting for a  lily pad to unfreeze, forearms the size of tree trunks after shoveling so much snow. Waiting and wishing for any day above 30 degrees so that they can take off a layer or two and show off that hot bod born from what a only a hard winter can create.

Herotomost at your service, and while here in in Sunny Phoenix, Arizona, I have no knowledge of these winter trials and tribulations (and I know that some like Kerry have just the opposite this time of year) I want to do what I can to help the rest ease into what I am sure is going to be one of the most anticipated springs in some time.  Hedge is already planting, that's a good sign.

So, for my challenge this week I want you to find a comfortable, quiet spot, tune out the rest of the world, close your eyes and let it all hang out.  I want you to visualize what it is that you might do on your perfect spring day given the time and the inclination. Who would you be hanging with if anyone?  Would you be walking, fishing, picnicking with that special someone? Imagine breathing in the sweet smell of citrus blossoms, wisteria, or whatever smell you associate with springtime.  Maybe you would be planting your garden. Don't pick up your pen until you can fully realize the scenario, relax a bit (you look fabulous in those yoga pants) and when you are ready, write me something that doesn't just describe spring.  We all know how wonderful that is, write yourself into spring, give me that feeling that you get.  Show me why I should be hanging with you on that one awesome day (there goes the relaxation...lol, I swear not to show up).

As always, form and format are of no consequence on a perfect day like this.  You can write, draw, make me a marble sculpture, produce a broken tile mosaic.  It is totally up to you. And as always, if this prompt does not suit your fancy (cuz in the springtime a young mans fancy turns to thoughts of love...and for us old men, it turns to thoughts of lust and sometimes food) please write whatever you would like or skip it and just enjoy your perfect spring day without worrying about writing a single word.

I love you all and Happy Spring!!!!!



17 comments:

Outlawyer said...

Hey Corey--thanks for sweet challenge. k.

Hannah said...

Hi there, Corey!! Love to you and hopefully others will have more eventful poems...mine's a bit meditative. Thank you, you for the challenge! :)

Maude Lynn said...

I do look pretty fabulous in these yoga pants . . .

Kerry O'Connor said...

Haha! What an old charmer you are, Corey. I'm enjoying the rainy sunny days of African Autumn, but I do like the idea of thinking oneself into the season.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely challenge to return to after having been away from the garden for close to a year... Thank you so much for this nudge down memory lane!

hedgewitch said...

As you know, we're already there here(somehow that sounds like a grammatical error--but true) spring is not an unmixed blessing in tornado alley, but still, very welcome. Will see what I can do, old man, since you asked us so nice.

Archer's Bones said...

I'm in Arizona too (Bisbee), and we're well into spring. The poppies are my favorite here :)

Lauren Farrow said...

I love visualization! That is what I will have to do because I live in New England and there is still 2' of snow on the ground!

I will visualize the beautiful garden replacing the snow. I will plant it with my wonderful little beagles and husband. The beagles will dig and I will seed!

brudberg said...

I have to dream yet.. and being an old man, I need to think and fantasize.. wonderful inspiration Corey.

cosmos cami said...

Nice prompt

Herotomost said...

Yay.... I love that everyone is feeling a bit springy...now off to read!!! Kerry this does require a little thought and imagination on your part!

hedgewitch said...

Did my best, Corey--now I must go let out the chickens--back later.

Jim said...

Thank you for the idea, Corey. I may not always do it right but I have fun trying and thinking that I am okay. Like thinking in school that you have written an "A" paper and the prof hands you back a "C-". Except you guys don't grade, really don't critique much.

I may be the first, or only one, but I had contact with Mr. Linky yesterday but he booted me by this morning. Duno when.
..

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to see the trees on both the sides with beautiful blossoms of flowers!

Margaret said...

So funny. I haven't had a chance I catch a breath let alone think of spring this week. My daughter is in a musical and we are all busy crazy. But. I hope to come back to this challenge for some much needed R & R!

Helen said...

Lovely challenge .. you do have a way with words!

grapeling said...

Couldn't resist, Corey. I am SO far behind reading, but will endeavor to catch up... ~

https://grapeling.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/my-favorite-spring/