Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Long History of Failed Kisses - Out of Standard

Greetings Garden Dwellers!
Welcome back to Out of Standard, where I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday. It is in that spirit in which I present March’s challenge...

A Long History of Failed Kisses
 Today, my muddy buddies, we’ll defy conventions by looking to an overlooked source of inspiration….modern day stand-up comedy. When done well, a good comedy routine has all the same elements of a good poem: rhythm, drama, pacing, tone, delivery, and syntax.

The Challenge 
Enjoy the clip posted below from master storyteller/comedian Mike Birbiglia and write a poem inspired by his words or by the rhythm/pacing/structure of his delivery.







KEEP IN MIND Like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme. So go now and bring us back something shiny and new.


8 comments:

Hannah said...

If I could stop laughing I might be able to write!! Oh my goodness...thank you, Izzy!! BIG :)'s

Anonymous said...

This was a fun one! Thanks for the giggles.

Lolamouse said...

I totally agree with him!

Outlawyer said...

Hey Izzy--it was very funny--I took it in a different direction because of news I got today--but thanks. k.

Susie Clevenger said...

Izy, no kisses in mine. Just never know where a prompt will take me.

brudberg said...

My inspiration basically took me a little further in age.. when I actually felt ready to go further.. hmm

slightly embarrassing to write actually.

Jim said...

Nice challenge, Izzy. Since I'm a day late, this Saturday is International Pi Day. So my poem is about pi (3.1416....) as it relates to my gift piece of leftover apple pie.

The unfulfilled part for you is a contingency, when (also "IF") there is NO ICE CREAM for my pie THEN I would take cheese on it.

At the bottom of my post I link to a few of my past 'pi' and 'two pi' days posts.
..

Margaret said...

This is hysterical! I will be writing something even though it will be really late! Thanks for the laugh and the resurfacing of some long forgotten memories.