Thursday, March 19, 2015

Bits Of Inspiration ~ Spoems

Hello poets! Today we are going to dip into our e-mails and find the poetry in spam. Instead of grinding your teeth and hitting the delete button I want you to dig deep in your well of inspiration and pull verses from annoying. Shoot you might even choose your least favorite poetry form and put a spam spin on it.



Here are a few subject lines from my unwanted correspondence. 

The Gunshine State
Your Matches Are Waiting 
Celebrate Being Halfway
We Can Almost Hear The Easter Bunny
She Blinded Me With Science
Today's Maker Moment
Pink Ribbon Fleece
No Exam Required
Red Rocks Exclusive


There is even an institute for the preservation of Spam Poetry.

So poets choose from my selection of subject lines or your own waiting in your mailbox to craft your spoems. Be it humor or rant please write an original piece for the challenge, place it in Mr. Linky and visit your fellow word artisans to read what spam inspired them to write. 

(You can stick to the spoem definition in creating your poem, mix subject lines together, add your own words, etc. The creative door is wide open.)

spoem (ˈspəʊɪm) 

Definitions

noun

(informal)
  1. a poem made up entirely from the subject lines of different spam emails
  2. a random sequence of words in the subject line of a spam email, generated to fool spam filters

16 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Whoosh!! What an amazing idea to turn the lowest form of communication in the highest...

Magaly Guerrero said...

Susie, I can't stop giggling. I have never before been excited about going through my spam folder. Off to dig through the trash!

Outlawyer said...

Ha. A funny prompt, susie. I have the flu so don't know whether I'll manage it. K.

Margaret said...

Fun! Who knew

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks everyone. I thought this would be a lot of fun. Mine are total nonsense, but I so got a kick out of writing them. I am leaving on a trip so I may not be able to get everyone's spoem read until I return. So looking forward to where this takes people!

Fireblossom said...

I hardly get any spam. I will have to borrow one of yours!

Hannah said...

I couldn't find my spam! I don't know where 'they' keep it. I came up with an alternative any way...fun idea, Susie...thank you!

brudberg said...

I had some interesting SPAM.. but I had to dig into the content of the letters (mostly promising money from a rich widow...) Hope it's OK to tweak the rules a little...

Susie Clevenger said...

I didn't mind the tweaking a bit. I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but since I am on my phone it didn't work. Loved your poem. There was certainly some unexpected costs for that double room.

Margaret said...

Didn't see "subject lines". I dug into the content. Oops.

Susie Clevenger said...

Margaret, that's fine. It was just a jumping off point for creativity. You did a great job!

Jim said...

This was a fun little write, Susie. Thank you. I added words to my line, I am glad you allowed that. Otherwise it would be like writing a 'spine poem' or a 'newspaper poem', find and place or cut and paste.
..

Susie Clevenger said...

Real Toads made today's issue of The Gardening Daily. http://paper.li/GoodBlogPosts2/1309694880#!all

Outlawyer said...

Hi Susie--I have the flu so slow to return visits. k.

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks again everyone for participating in the challenge. Karin, get well soon.

Kerridwen said...

I've actually tried that before because I get really hilarious spam comments! One was a spam comment asking me if I knew how to avoid spam!! :D