Saturday, February 4, 2017

Flash 55 PLUS!

Greetings to all poets and friends.
It is time for the Flash 55 Challenge! The rules of this prompt have not changed: Write a piece of poetry or prose on a subject of your choice in precisely 55 WORDS.

Fair Use


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PLUS!

For the OPTIONAL EXTRA part of this challenge, I have selected the novel 1984 by George Orwell. My choice was made easy by following the headlines: Classical Novel '1984' Sales Are Up In The Age Of 'Alternative Facts'

I leave the direction of your poem/prose open but remind you of some of the words and phrases from the novel, which have become part of common expression and seem more relevant now than ever before:

Big Brother, Doublethink, Newspeak, Hate Week, Ministry of Truth (also of Love, Peace, Plenty), Prole, Telescreen, Thought Police, Thoughtcrime.
For a definitive source of quotes, click HERE.

Feel free to post more than one 55-word piece to this prompt, which will remain first on the Home Page until Tuesday morning. Please return to enjoy the poetry of fellow poets.


13 comments:

Outlawyer said...

Hey Kerry-- I managed to do the prior prompt, so have hope for this one-- there is finally snow where I am in the mountains, and I am lucky enough to be able to roam about in it. (And avoid thinking.) Take care, k.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh gosh I literally love flash 55!❤️ Sharing my poem I Weep (Not) thank you Kerry for the wonderful opportunity!!


Lots of love,
Sanaa

Magaly Guerrero said...

Can't say no to this timely (and timeless) vault of inspiration.

Thank you, Kerry.

Angie said...

i don't do political (well), but apparently i do crazy? maybe

Angie said...

Same difference

Kerry O'Connor said...

I hasten to add that poems do not have to be political in theme, although the Plus! lends itself to a dystopian discourse.

Margaret said...

Just needed a break form politics - haven't turned the tv or news on the whole weekend - My challenge coming up this month will be a bit political... about immigrants - so I'll save it for then.

hedgewitch said...

Thanks, Kerry, for the Plus, which got me writing.

Marian said...

Just read 1984 again after many years, whoosh.

Other Mary said...

Great writing prompt. I ended up writing something I don't really want to put on my blog, but I hope you don't mind if I share it in the comments. This came about from a combination of "Ignorance is Strength" from 1984 and all the "We're Number Two" videos of European nations.

Ignorance is strength

I am the strongest ever
the best, ever
I have the best strength
and I will make America strong
I will make America number one again
because I like number one…

my ratings were number one
now my rantings are
number one,
they’re terrific,
because I'm the strongest ever
no one is stronger than me

brudberg said...

I have been busy the last week and over the week... so skipping a prompt again...

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I got spacey and wrote a 44-word poem. Now that it's done it's 55 but it didn't follow rules. I'm going to post it anyway because I only have so much time and the poem is done.

I'm going to write another and tweak it later. Please excuse me this time. Hugs!

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Ok, I fixed it. I'm a little hangry (hungry and angry) and not at you! I haven't been able to bike for a week and it's getting to me. I need those chemicals, it's got to stop raining long enough for me to bike. This week's haiku word is rain. Lol! Hugs!