Saturday, February 18, 2017

And the Moon ~ Micro Poetry

Greetings to all!
Today is the day we put the "mini' back into the Sunday Mini-Challenge, and return to the option of form poetry. The object of this challenge is to write a poem in no more than 10 lines (but you may write in fewer than 10 lines all the way down to a single American sentence). Choose your own form or write in free verse, if preferred.



This weekend, our frame of reference is "And the Moon and the Stars and the World" - from the title of this poem by Charles Bukowski.

And, for good measure, another poem to feature the moon, by Rumi:

At the Twilight

At the twilight, a moon appeared in the sky;
Then it landed on earth to look at me.
Like a hawk stealing a bird at the time of prey;
That moon stole me and rushed back into the sky.
I looked at myself, I did not see me anymore;
For in that moon, my body turned as fine as soul.
The nine spheres disappeared in that moon;
The ship of my existence drowned in that sea.


I look forward to reading a number of short poems, from Saturday through to Monday. The link does not expire, so please feel free to write more than one poem, and a return to comment on poems linked later would be appreciated.


14 comments:

Outlawyer said...

Beautiful Bukowski poem, Kerry. I don't know if I will be able to participate but enjoyed the poem, and yours! k.

Marian said...

I love this prompt. So moody! Love.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you for the challenge Kerry ❤️ sharing my poem "The Moon and I" hope you all like it❤️

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I adore brevity, Kerry! In fact, I will share more than one, what fun. I fell behind last week so enjoying this! My first share is 11 lines, I hope you don't mind I couldn't take one line out. Have a good weekend!

brudberg said...

I thought about lunacy and moon.

Angie said...

a mini = haiku
(still think I could shorten it, if I had more time)

Bekkie Sanchez said...

OMG I hope we didn't have to write about the moon, I would have, but I have had a thick head this week. I hope it doesn't leak into my poetry. I just did the micro poetry part and enjoyed the poem. Hugs!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A sweet prompt, just what I wanted after waxing all deep and serious recently. :)

Susie Clevenger said...

I love the prompt Kerry.

Kim M. Russell said...

I'm moonstruck by the two prompt poems, Kerry. Hope you're having a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

there's been a lot of lunar activity this month but have missed it all due to cloud in London so making the most of this marvellous prompt with a moon garden

hedgewitch said...

Well, of course--since it's the moon. ;_)

brudberg said...

I had to do an american sentence as well... :-)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Many thanks for all the wonderful responses to this prompt.. each time I have returned, I have found more poems waiting to be read.