Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Tuesday Platform


I Wanted To Make Myself like the Ravine

 by Hannah Gamble

I wanted to make myself like the ravine
so that all good things
would flow into me.

Because the ravine is lowly,
it receives an abundance.

This sounds wonderful
to everyone
who suffers from lacking,
but consider, too, that a ravine
keeps nothing out:

in flows a peach
with only one bite taken out of it,
but in flows, too,
the body of a stiff mouse
half cooked by the heat of the stove
it was toughening under.

I have an easygoing way about me.
I’ve been an inviting host —
meaning to, not meaning to.
Oops — he’s approaching with his tongue
already out
and moving.

Analyze the risks
of becoming a ravine.

Compare those with the risks
of becoming a well
with a well-bolted lid.

Which I’d prefer
depends largely on which kinds
of animals were inside me
when the lid went on
and how likely they’d be
to enjoy the water,
vs. drown, freeze, or starve.

The lesson: close yourself off
at exactly the right time.

On the day that you wake up
under some yellow curtains
with a smile on your face,

lock the door.
Live out your days
untroubled like that.



There is something about the poems by Hannah Gamble that stir my soul and my muse from time to time. Greetings poets, wayfarers and friends, it's a beautiful day here and I am looking forward to reading poetry with a cup of coffee.

If you have any thoughts to share, ideas you wish to release into the wild or a world view to express, then you have come to the right place. Please share a poem of your choice and enjoy the company of your fellow scribes. We look forward to reading you and hope you have a wonderful day ahead.

SHARE * READ * COMMENT * ENJOY

19 comments:

robkistner said...

Hi Sanaa. I am sharing a Prosery (poetic/prose) that I wrote for this week’s dVerse prompt.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Rob; Thank you so much 😊 heading over to read you! Happy Tuesday💞☕

Sandi said...

Living life hushed away...that sounds like wise advice these days.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thank you for hosting, Sanaa.

tonispencer said...

Hi Sanaa. Thank you for hosting!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Sandi; Thank you 😊 so glad the poem resonated with you💞☕

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Kerry; Loved your poem 😊 thank you for introducing us to the amazing artwork by Quincy Washington. Happy Tuesday!💞☕

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Toni; Hello 😊 heading over to read you!💞☕ 

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful poem, thanks for sharing it with us and thanks for hosting.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Thanks for posting this wonderful poem, Sanaa. Really enjoyed it.

Anmol (HA) said...

Thanks for hosting, Sanaa! :-)

I will be making my visits gradually throughout the week. Looking forward to reading everyone! :-)

Kim M. Russell said...

Thanks for the poem and for hosting, Sanaa. I'm sharing a poem I wrote for this Tuesday's dVerse Poetics.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Susie; Thank you so much 😊 heading over to read you! Happy Tuesday💞☕

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@purplepen; Thank you so much, Sara 😘 so glad you enjoyed it!💞☕

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Anmol; Heyyy welcome back!😊 It's so good to read you again. Hope you are settling in nicely! Happy Tuesday💞☕

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Kim; Thank you so much for sharing 😊 heading over to read you!💞☕

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Sharing the one I wrote for dVerse Poetics. Happy Tuesday Toads!

Jim said...

Just a little "heart ditty" that I keyed during a break on Monday. Cupid got it, mine
..

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your wonderful poetry this week!! ☺️