Saturday, July 6, 2019

Art FLASH / 55

For this weekend's art collaboration, I am introducing an illustrator in ink and watercolour, known as Anarh1a, from Novorossiysk, Russia. She has kindly given permission for us to use her beautiful piece, 'Chernobog and Belobog', for our poetic inspiration. This picture is part of a series the artist completed on Slavic gods, depicting The Myth of Creation.

There flew across the sky, above the Infinite Ocean-Sea, three birds: an Eagle in a front and two bright Falcons behind. The first chose the path, and directed the course. The two others followed him. One flew behind the right wing of the Eagle and looked up, into the sky. The other, who flew behind the left wing of the Eagle, looked down. Eagle was a Great God himself. One falcon was Belobog (White God), the other was Chernobog (Black God).
For more background on the role of these gods in Slavic culture, please follow this LINK.

Chernobog & Belobog
@anarh1a
Used With Permission



If you repost the image on your blog, please give attribution to Anarh1a, using the following link: https://www.instagram.com/anarh1a.

Feel free to pay her a visit on Instagram, where more of her amazing pieces are to be viewed, but not used for this prompt.

If you post your poem on Instagram, using Anarh1a's image, please tag @anarh1a and mention her as the collaborative artist in your post.

There are no restrictions placed on this challenge: Let the image speak to you and respond in a poetic or prose form of your choosing: Literal! Figurative! Reflective! Narrative! Symbolic!

As an alternative, you may write a Flash 55 inspired by the photograph, or on a subject of your choice, in memory of Galen, who first imagined this challenge.

I also strongly encourage all those who choose to participate in this challenge to visit and comment on the work of the poets who have linked up alongside you. This poetry community has always been a place to share and support the creative responses to the prompts we provide. The linky does not expire and this post remains open and at the top of the page all weekend. If you link early, please return to read other poems linked up after your own. The longevity of the Real Toads is reliant on active participation.


11 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Already it is the first weekend of July! The year is flying by. I am thrilled to be sharing the work of artist, Anarh1a and cannot wait to see the poetry that it inspires.

tonispencer said...

I have always been fascinated by the duality of light and darkness. Good prompt Kerry!

brudberg said...

I went totally into the theme of Darkness and light... and with those two birds I got the imagery I needed.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Kerry!💖 I'll be back in the morning to read and comment on the newer entries ... enjoying the responses so far.. wowwww!!😊

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the art! Thank you so much for introducing us to her.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I first saw the prompt on my phone, so... the wee version of the drawing inspired a story about the dark and light aspects of being on vacation (and really missing the comforts of my bed)... Then, I looked at the drawing on my computer--and Chernobog and Belobog borrowed Huginn's and Muninn's feathers, and... well, I ended up trapped in (or liberated by *yes, this is more accurate) by Thought and Memory. The result felt good. I hope it feels that way, too.

Thank you for the prompt, Kerry (and welcoming prose).

Kerry O'Connor said...

I am so excited to be reading all these poems! So many intriguing interpretations of the mythology.

robkistner said...

Great prompt Kerry. I was inspired to go with the essence of raptor. Still can’t post on your blog, but I enjoyed your piece.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks, Rob. good to know there is an issue. It is strange that you have a problem posting to blogspot accounts, since this site has the same sign in method. I appreciate your comment here, and I must say that I enjoyed your description of the raptors very much. The format of the poem is particularly appealing.

Anarh said...

It is so amazing poem!
Thank You

Margaret said...

Playing very late... I realize I might not get readers here so I also posted in Tuesday Platform .. I will visit and answer there first and then come back and visit and comment here over the next few days...