Saturday, December 31, 2016

Physics with Björn: Brownian Motion


First I thought about doing a new year prompt, but somehow I think all has been said about last year. Still you are fine to combine my prompt with new year wishes.

As you might know I once read Physics, and I took a PhD many years ago. I have not worked with Physics after that, but I have always had a passion to understand how the world works, and how it connects to philosophy.


For me Physics is always present in my writing, but I have understood that for many of you Physics brings back memories of less joyful moments in school. I would like to start a small series on different phenomena and what it might tell us of the world. I promise, that there will be no equations, no math, just fun. If you like the theme I will continue this prompts with more challenges.

Today let us look into a microscope and consider Brownian Motion, which is the random motion of particles suspended in a fluid that can be observed through a microscope.



When this was first described by Robert Brown in 1827 when looking at pollen suspended in a solution. At that time atoms and molecules was just a wild theory and the movements he observed seemed random and unpredictable. It was not until 1905 when Albert Einstein came up with a comprehensive theory that the reason was collision from the invisible molecules in the fluid, and that the movement could be explained (if not predicted). Therefore it constituted one of the first concrete evidences of the building.blocks of matter.


Isn’t it fascinating how we can observe something for real that is caused by something we can only imagine?. Often I find the world to be random and erratic. Are we bounced around by forces we only can imagine.


Think about concepts like apparent randomness, of motion and of what we cannot see. Maybe you can imagine being puppeteered like pollen in a fluid, or just dance to randomness and see where you end up.

Link up below and share the joy what other read.

And have a happy new year.

13 comments:

said...

"or just dance to randomness and see where you end up" ... Now that sounds like it was written for me.

Seriously, great idea for a prompt series. I never took a physics class, so I still find it fascinating.

brudberg said...

Many wishes for a happy new year, I hope you will find some time for physics...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Happy New Year 2017!!❤️ Loved the prompt Bjorn, sharing my poem "Year (in motion) hope you all like it!❤️


Lots of love,
Sanaa

Kerry O'Connor said...

Though Science was not my most successful subject at school, I do have a lasting interest in the Physics and Chemistry of things - and I think it translates well to poetry.

brudberg said...

Soon it's midnight here, and fireworks are starting. I wish you all the best for 2017.

Kim M. Russell said...

Happy New year, Bjorn! You already know about my interest in space and other aspects of science. I love this prompt!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I have a sonnet for you, Björn.

brudberg said...

A great subject of a sonnet...

Marian said...

Oooohh... love this prompt and theme, Bjorn. More physics in the new year, please!

brudberg said...

I think this can be a new theme of mine... might fit with my librarian.

Other Mary said...

What a wonderful way to start the year, Bjorn. Thank you. And I think you should keep going with the Physics prompts, because every response I've read has been beautiful and moving.

Gillena Cox said...

Very interesting, looking forward to your Physics prompt series.

Best Wishes in 2007 and wishing all much love...

Haddock said...

There may be some truth in it -- puppeteered like pollen and see where you end up.