Thursday, December 22, 2016

A Skyflower Friday: Untitled

Kerry here, standing in for Shay, with a Fireblossom Friday flavoured challenge.

Untitled (Perfect Lovers)
Felix Gonzalez-Torres ~ 1990
Fair Use Principles

We take our inspiration today from Cuban-born American sculptor, photographer, and conceptual artist, Felix Gonzalez-Torres known for work in a variety of media that addresses issues of identity, desire, originality, loss, the metaphor of journey, and the private versus the public domain. Like many artists of the 1980s, Gonzalez-Torres used the postmodern strategy of appropriating ready-made motifs and objects to create his art, thereby challenging the idea of the unique art object that was so much a hallmark of Modernism. (source)

His Untitled (Perfect Lovers) piece shown above is described thus: “These two identical, adjacent, battery-operated clocks were initially set to the same time, but, with time, they will inevitably fall out of sync.”

For this challenge, I would like you to visit his page on WikiArt.org and view the selection of sculptures on display there. You will notice that all pieces are "Untitled" with a description placed in brackets. Write a new poem, with the same method of title. The content and style of the poem is open, but let us take our cue from "issues of identity, desire, originality, loss, the metaphor of journey"
The Christmas theme is banned. (Bah, Humbug!).




12 comments:

Margaret said...

Honestly... thought I had NOTHING and a sip of tea... found I did. Thanks, Kerry, for the challenge and I hope Shay is enjoying her "off" time.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Great prompt, Kerry.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I really had nothing, Margaret, but something rose from the exhaustion of this past week.

brudberg said...

Love the idea, and I think I have a theme growing. Really started from nothing and connected to the artwork.

brudberg said...

i don't know why the image on my blog obscures things.. I have even removed it, but it's still there.

Fireblossom said...

Thanks so much for riding to the rescue, Kerry! I was at work about 2 this afternoon when I realized i should have done a prompt today. Forgive the stressed-out mail lady? Great prompt!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, sharing my poem Untitled (Desire and Loss) thank you for the lovely opportunity, Kerry❤️

Kim M. Russell said...

Thank you, Kerry, for introducing me to the work of Felix Gonzalez-Torres. I laid out the poem in Word so that it rippled across the page but WordPress just ignored it! I hope you get the gist!

Gillena Cox said...

Inspiring, happy to have met Felix Gonzalez-Torres; throught this prompt

much love...

hedgewitch said...

Wonderful artist and challenge Kerry. I am wordless atm but thanks so much for the exposure to his work.

Susie Clevenger said...

Great prompt Kerry...My piece is a bit dark...So no Christmas piece for sure, unless you consider it the Christmas lump of coal.

erbiage.wordpress.com said...

fascinating. i like associating poetry with other art forms. really stuck on his naming-not naming of his pieces...

a rose, by any other Name