Saturday, December 10, 2016

Snow Birthed Tales (Poetry and Flash Fiction with Magaly)

 “Snow Birthed Tales”, by Jenny Leslie
(the artist has allowed us to use her photo on our personal blogs,
please link it to her Instagram account)

Greetings, dear Toads. I hope you are having a magnificent week; if not, then do your best to grab the weekend by the short hairs (and the long ones) and make it as fantastic as you need it to be.

As those of you who read me already know, I’m a lover of poetry and fiction. For this reason, I’m delighted to present the first in a series of Poetry and Flash Fiction prompts.

Using Jenny Leslie’s photo as inspiration, craft a new poem or story, while keeping in mind the following guidelines:

If you choose Poetry
- please write 13 lines or fewer
- use one (or all) of these words: snow, cabin, ice

If you choose Flash Fiction
- please write 313 words or fewer
- set your story inside the cabin

Feed the direct link to your entry to Mr. Linky. Visit other Toads (insightful comments nourish the muse, really). Have a blast.


14 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday. I'm a bundle of giddiness, waiting to see what brews out of my first Poetry and Flash Fiction prompt at The Garden. Can't wait to enjoy your poems and tales, my dear Toads!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm very excited about your new prompt idea, Magaly. My week has been one of DIY - repainting my daughter's bedroom, and it turned out to be a lot harder than I thought.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Kerry, that type of house work always seems to grow bigger after we start. I hope it doesn't take too long, and that your daughter loves the results!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, gorgeous ❤️ can't wait to read what everyone comes up with!
xo

Sanaa Rizvi said...

PS: I'll be back later to read and comment❤️

DS Scott said...

I'm not a "snow, cabin, ice" kind of writer, so I made it an acrostic. Technically, the words are there.

Kim M. Russell said...

Hi Magaly! I have enjoyed your prompt immensely. I'm afraid it's Sunday now and I've only just got around to it, so I'm looking forward to reading what everyone else has written! have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

hedgewitch said...

As you know, Magaly, writing has been sparse for me lately, but your perfect winter prompt did finally manage to poke the muse where she needed it--thanks!

Magaly Guerrero said...

@Sanaa, I hope you spend some time enjoying your birthday!

@David, I wonder if there is such a thing as "a 'snow, cabin, ice' sort of writer". I hope you still enjoy the poems and tales with snow, cabin and ice in them. :-)

@Kim, your muses brewings tasted of December in color.

@HedgeWitch, I was so happy to see your name that I started grinning even before I read your poem. Thank you for peotizing what lies in the cabin!

Margaret said...

Malay - I think I need to try again as mine is not a story and is non-fiction. This is what I wrote and then I went back and realized I segwayed a LOT from the rules - I will try and come back tomorrow and have fun with a fiction "story" poem.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Magaly: I had the best time ever!!!❤️ xo

Magaly Guerrero said...

@Margaret, your entry falls within the poetry guidelines--13 lines and you used the word "snowy", which works for me.

Magaly Guerrero said...

@Sanaa, I'm so glad! ❤️

Stacie Eirich said...

Oh Magaly I do love this snowy photo & even though I didn't make it in time to participate in the weekend prompt, I do hope you won't mind if I use it for an Instagram poem. I'll tag you. :-)

I look forward to reading what others came up with, too. Have a wonderful day. Stacie