Thursday, April 26, 2018

A list with a twist

Image copyrighted. Isadora Gruye Photography. Reprint only with permission. 


Greetings Garden Dwellers!  

I’m here with an Out of Standard challenge to keep the momentum going as the end of April approaches.

Today, we’ll visit a common form called the list poem, and we’ll put a teeny twist to it just to keep things interesting.

What is a list poem? 

A list poem is simply that. A list or inventory of items, people, places, or ideas. They often involve repetition.  

From Walt Whitman to Dr. Seuss, poets have used the list format as a way to break free of traditional expectations and conjure forth some powerful work.


Your challenge…


Write a list poem of five.  Five of anything.  Five things you need at the grocery. Five people who got exactly what they had coming. Your five favorite things overheard on the street. Five things you haven’t been able to throw away.  You get the point.  The mic is warm.  The stage is yours. 


11 comments:

brudberg said...

List poems are my favorite types of poem... I will come back with something later.

tonispencer said...

List poems are also my favorite. I will start working on this. Thank you!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

They are usually not my favourites at all – but this time the prompt gave me a good excuse for something I've been wanting to poeticise. The twist was the thing! Thank you.

Fireblossom said...

You shouldn't encourage me like this.

Anonymous said...

A countdown poem of sorts fro me

Vivian Zems said...

I'm completely new to this...but had a go anyway!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks for keeping us in the edge of our seats as the final gasps of poetry writing month resound. I may be a bit late with my offering, but I wouldn't miss the challenge.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Um.. um.. I tried!💜 We'll see how it goes. Day 26! Phew!☕

Gillena Cox said...

Day 26 Thanks for a lovely prompt Isadora

much love...

Frank J. Tassone said...

Evening, Garden dwellers! Thanks, Isadora, for the prompt! We have our son's spring concert to attend (where he plays the viola!). I will catch you all around the garden! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for hosting Izy! Late to the party, lagging for the words in this mad month, but I listed, twisted and just had some fun!