Thursday, April 19, 2018

Get Listed: Poems In April Edition

Source

To what purpose, April, do you return again?
Beauty is not enough.
You can no longer quiet me with the redness
Of little leaves opening stickily.
I know what I know.
The sun is hot on my neck as I observe
The spikes of the crocus.
The smell of the earth is good.
It is apparent that there is no death.
But what does that signify?  (read full poem here)

- Edna St. Vincent Millay, Spring.

Greetings to all poets, wayfarers and friends. We are halfway through the month of April, and I must admit it has been an incredible journey so far. I have long been in love with poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay. There is something distinctly profound about the way she picks her words and phrases and the poem above is a perfect example.

For this 'Get Listed' edition I want you guys to come up with your own brief creation. Please keep your poems under 100 words. Choose one of the word groups (using all four words) that fits best with the mood/theme/personality of your poem.
  • canopy               frost                   despair                omen                        sensual
  • wander              dawn                  blood                   wistful                      features
  • lightly                pity                     guts                      crocus                       blue
  • spring                change               dark                       edge                        mouth

Choose your own form or write in free verse if preferred. I look forward to what you guys come up with. The link doesn't expire so feel free to write more than one poem. Please do visit others and remember to comment on their poems. Have fun!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for hosting Sanna ~ interesting challenge, and good source/point of inspiration ~
I'll have to play later - time for bed. Happy penning everyone.

Kim M. Russell said...

Thanks for the spring prompt, Sanaa! Today is going to be a busy day, as are the next couple of days, so I'm keeping poems short and sweet!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Kim; Loved your poem today!💞 Thank you so much for writing!💞
@Willow; Thank you!💞 Looking forward to your offering!💞

brudberg said...

I see two ways of choosing a group... I did mine horizontally... but I see others doing it vertically... Hope it's ok either way.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Bjorn; Yes ofcourse!💞 Happy Thursday!☕

Vivian Zems said...

Hi Sanaa! Happy to see you hosting. Happy Thursday! 😄

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Vivian; Happy Thursday to you too!💞☕

Gillena Cox said...

I've listed in Sanaa. Have a good day garden people

much love...

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thank you for a wonderful list of words and the Millay poem. I think I should take a break from war talk.
:-)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Gillena; YAY!💞 Heading over to read you!☕
@Kerry; Thank you I am so glad you liked it! Happy Thursday!💞☕

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sanaa...post and run from me today...work schedule is so full right now ..catch up reading later

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I found this one challenging, but eventually something happened. (Sometimes I just have to get out of my own way and let the subconscious free!)

I am finally catching up, after the computer problems earlier in the week, but must get to bed now and read everyone else's tomorrow.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Paul; Take your time, have a wonderful day ahead!💞☕

@Rosemary; I am so glad you made it! Sweet dreams!💞

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Intriguing word groups, Sanaa. I am exhausted today but will give it a whirl later.

Margaret said...

An example of another poem I would have NEVER written without the garden as a prompt (or "goose") as Shay has proclaimed.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you all for writing to the prompt! 💞☕

David Ellis said...

Thank you for the inspiration and your prompt. I created my Day 19 entry for NaPoWriMo and made a found poem using “Spring” by EDNA ST. VINCENT MILLAY as my own source piece/poem :) I've linked back to your prompt too, appreciate all your hard work over here.