Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Photography Challenge for Sunday

Our featured photographer-poet this week is Margaret Bednar, a recent Follower of Real Toads. Many may be familiar with her work on Art Happens 365.





Mother of six, wife of one.  My son introduced me to poetry a year and half ago and my oldest daughter and I share a love for art. I enjoy horses and spend much of my spare time at the barn.   As a family we are heavily involved with community theatre, my husband was in drag recently in "Nunsense Amen".






Glorious Promise

Oh, pretentious October,
Trees impress with reds and golds 
Gloriously displaying
Autumn Maturity

Stealthy November grasps hold
Strength, life deteriorate
Carpet ablaze under foot
Cold, wet, fading, decaying 

Seeping into mother earth
Slowly gaining dignity
Restoration is at hand
Easter's promise unfolding

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens, 12-01-10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Margaret has generously offered the real toads carte blanche with her photographic images but please remember to acknowledge the name of the artist if you upload one to your blog.  

There are many beautiful pictures to be found on her various blogs, and I had a hard time selecting just two to feature here today.

Sebastian Grazing ~ Margaret Bednar


Old Salem ~ Margaret Bednar
More images of Old Salem, HERE.

You will find quick links to Interesting Places I Have Photographed in the right hand side-bar on Margaret's Home Page at Art Happens 365.

The Sunday Challenge is posted on Saturday at noon CST to allow extra time for the creative process, so please do not link up old work which kind of fits the challenge at a push.  I will only respond to poetry written specifically for this prompt: this is in the spirit of the Real Toads project to create opportunities for poets to be newly inspired. 


17 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I will definitely be doing this, but I just posted, so it will be a bit before I do. Margaret is a wonderful choice, and the photos are excellent for inspiration!

Margaret said...

If it is OK with Kerry, I am game for any of my photography that can be found on my blog to be used for the poetry challenge. You have permission to copy the photo to your blog with your poem when you link it back to IGWRT's. This is quite an honor!

Margaret said...

I have learned to tune out 6 kids and don't always pay as close attention to details as I should... Kerry said "carte blanche" in her introduction.

Kerry O'Connor said...

You are wonderfully generous with your work, Margaret. Thank you.

Susie Clevenger said...

Margaret..such beautiful photography..I will find an image and do my best to honor your work with my words.

hedgewitch said...

I love Margaret's photography. I'll be checking it out and post tomorrow should something come.

Fireblossom said...

Oh my gosh...I just followed the links. I could write to any number of those excellent pictures, but especially the horse photographs!

Kay L. Davies said...

I love Margaret's photography, too, and who can believe she is so new to poetry? Her poem is lovely.
I have my submission ready to post but I think I'll hang onto it for a while in case something inspires me to make changes (for the better, one hopes).
K

Mary said...

Margaret, I have enjoyed your poetry and your photography here AND when I have seen it via Poetry Jam; and tomorrow (Sunday) when I have more time I will try to write something to one of your wonderful photographs. Kerry, thanks for featuring Margaret's work. I DO truly believe that when one is artistic in one area one is artistic in other areas as well. Tomorrow.......

Mary Ann Potter said...

Beautiful photography and poetry, Margaret. I used one of your photos of Old Salem. I live in Oxford, and it's not a long drive to get to Winston Salem. I want to go back! My visit a couple of years ago was too brief.

Kerry O'Connor said...

With additional thanks to Marian for her inspiring introduction to the Sevenling form. Read her poem here:

http://www.runawaysentence.com/2012/01/through-looking-glass.html

Brendan said...

It's always a delight to find our fine poets have other exquisiteness tucked away in their creative closets. Beautiful poem, Margaret, and gorgeous images. Horses seems to be nosing their way into the foreground the past few days--in the sphere as well as in my personal wild -- so I post a twist on one of the tales about the Uffington horse. - Brendan

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Talk about being blessed with an overabundance of choices! Beautiful, beautiful photographs, Margaret! The most difficult task I had was trying to pick just one! Thanks so much :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

My second poem has also been linked to Monday Toads.

Ella said...

Your photos are stunning! I loved your poem, too :D
Thank you!

Margaret said...

I can't even begin to tell you what an honor and how much FUN this was. Thank you, one and all!

Lolamouse said...

Margaret,

I loved looking at your beautiful photos! It was tough deciding which to write to. So many of them inspired thoughts! Thank you so much for your generosity with your work!