Friday, December 6, 2013

Artistic Interpretations with Margaret - "The Collector" through thelens of Jennifer MacNeill

Painted Ladies
We all display about our homes a few of our favorite things, but what happens when we discard them or well, they "outlive" us?  I used to adore the story of the Velveteen Rabbit - where a beloved toy becomes "real"; adored the idea of him coming to life, gaining a soul.  Photographer, Jennifer MacNeill, certainly makes these images seem like they have one, don't you think?  Or at least, as if you can hear them faintly whispering their stories…

Creepy Eyes
Jennifer MacNeill is an official artist with the figurine company "The Trail of Painted Ponies".  She lives in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and loves to hike, garden and tell the story of a place through photography.

I have showcased a part of her "The Collector" set.  Jennifer MacNeill says, "It is an odd assortment of things at a friend's home in WV photographed in very low light.  I did not move an object, just walked around and shot what I found interesting." 

Crayon Box
Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries are some of the occasions in which gift giving occurs.  Most of us have certain belongings we cherish, not for their financial value, but for the memories they evoke.  A few of us have gotten rid of things for the opposite reason.

I adore walking through antique stores, contemplating "past lives" of rocking horses, tool boxes, baby chairs, school desks, game boards, jewelry… usually end up spending my bit of money on old books (go figure).

This is all the "direction" I want to suggest for this month's challenge.  Use the above or connect to these images another way.  As is usually the case with my prompts, I have no set restrictions as to form or structure.

Jennifer MacNeill has given us permission to use the images in "The Collector" series for today's challenge - NOT her entire flicker account and do NOT alter the images in any way.   I did not post all her images from this series. To see more please click on the Flicker Account below and find "The Collector" set.

I ask each poem be newly created for this specific challenge and please give credit to Jennifer MacNeill and link her website HERE and flicker page HERE to your poetry post.

Doll Trio
The Turkish Pipe
Teacup
Buttons Killed
"Monkey Business"
Under the Dome
I extend a warm welcome to submit late, as Friday, especially in the month of December, can often become hectic.  Please link your specific post to "Mr. Linky" below.  Please enjoy and read the other contributions.  Thank you.  I look forward to your artistic interpretations!

Bits and Bobs









19 comments:

Ella said...

Thank you Margaret! Her photos are amazing~ Funny I was working on an article yesterday about a pair of gloves coming to life and how we should listen to the whispers of vintage items. This will be fun!
I did see another photo on Flickr in this same section I wanted to write to... It was a hand with faces in it and a tiny bird in black n' white. Okay I will play....
Thank you for sharing Jennifer with us~ I love her photos!

Margaret said...

Ok. Ella write to any image in "The Collector" series. I will go change my rules :)

Ella said...

Thank you Margaret!! I am not sure why this photo spoke to me and I haven't quite figured it out, but I know I have to pursue it~ Maybe I will do two! I have to run errands, but I will be back to post!
Thank you! Happy Friday Toads

Maude Lynn said...

I love the way she works with light. Gorgeous!

Marian said...

Margaret, what a truly lovely prompt, those photos are fantastic and intriguing!

Scarlet said...

Interesting collector's set Margaret ~ Still thinking about it ~ Thanks for the challenge ~

hedgewitch said...

These are amazing, Margaret--I wish I could really see them, but my monitor is going out and everything is very indistinct. I probably won't get a chance to do this until later--but I want to!

Unknown said...

These photos are awesome! I had so much fun writing this poem!

Kay L. Davies said...

"Creepy eyes" is a perfect title, Margaret. I've always found dollless heads creepy, especially when they don't have any hair left. Brrr.
But I love the final photo, of the bits and bobs. The phrase reminds me of my grandmothers, and the photo takes me back to the days when I was home from school with one of my bouts of chronic bronchitis, and my mother would let me play with her jewelry.
K

Hannah said...

Wow! That house must have felt other-worldly! I love the images you chose to feature...great inspiration! Thank you. :)

Margaret said...

I generally do not read anyone's poems until mine is finished. I am celebrating my husband's 50th birthday this weekend and will be late getting by to read and respond, let alone finish the one I am working on. Thank you for those who have posted already and for those who will.

Posting late is OK with me - and I WILL check back in Sunday night or Monday to see what poetry you have written!

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for the challenge, Margaret. When they say a picture paints a thousand words, what does a portfolio do but present a world, or worlds? I found do much breadth and depth in MacNeill's work. If only we writers could go all of those places! (We try). Look forward to reading the portfolio of attempts here.

hedgewitch said...

I made it!At the cost of blurred eyeballs, but hey. When they recover, I will be by to visit everyone.Thanks Margaret, and Jennifer, for the excellent challenge and the generous sharing of Jennifer's photography.

Ella said...

Sorry I am late! I didn't have internet yesterday. It was on and off all day and when on so slow. I gave up...

Thank you Margaret and Jennifer!
A great challenge~

Susie Clevenger said...

Such beautiful photography...thanks so much Margaret for sharing and inspiring us with Jennifer's work!

Susan said...

I am late too. Let's all be late! But what fun to imagine how and why each accumulation happened. I picked "Buttons Killed." I have a poem about magic buttons and Doll's eyes from long ago, but this one heads in another direction.

Fireblossom said...

I'm grateful for the welcome extended to late birds!

Margaret said...

Wow. What a great response! I just got back from a weekend away with the hubby - will read and enjoy tomorrow morning! Thank you!

Margaret said...

I really thank you all for playing this busy month of December! I truly enjoyed the artistry you each evoked from the stunning images. I'll be back to see if anyone else submits late

If you do submit late, leave a comment here as it will show up in my email :)