Friday, December 20, 2013

Calling All Angels

Hello dear Toads and toad roadies. Fireblossom here with another Fireblossom Friday. This time, I want you to write about an angel, or angels. Now wait--I'm NOT allowing Christmas angels! That's too obvious and easy. I want you to write about an angel in your own life. Maybe we're talking about a real spiritual being. I've encountered one myself; many people say that they have. Maybe you, too? Or you would like to?

But there are lots of different kinds of angels. I'm giving you your title: "Calling All Angels." It's the title of the Jane Siberry song below. Apparently, she first wrote it this way: calling on angels for the nerve to approach some guy, and she sang it very sexy. However, as Jane herself has said, once written, the song took on a life of its own and she re-recorded it, with a different slant, and it became one of the most moving songs I've ever heard. it has appeared in several movies, including "Pay It Forward." Anyway, maybe your angel turned out to be a silver-tongued devil? Human angels, flawed angels, and angels in disguise are all fair game for this challenge.

I saw a bumper sticker in the shape of a paw, and inside the paw it read "Who saved who?" Maybe your angel barks? Or maybe your angel is someone who helped you when you needed it most?

No matter whether you choose an angel face, an earth angel, or a traditional winged angel from Heaven, there are only these rules: Title it "Calling All Angels", include some sort of "angel" in the poem, do NOT write about Christmas angels, and make your poem an original NEW poem, written just for this challenge. I hope you enjoy this challenge!

 

22 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is perfect for the Christmas season, FB and I like your more unconventional approach. I'm sorry that my title is not specifically what you asked for, but it did not seem to fit my poem when it was finished. I have acknowledged it in the post.

hedgewitch said...

A wonderful prompt, Shay--I will brood on it and possibly sometime when I return to bloggery I will have something that it inspired. Happy Holidays, all.

Unknown said...

I hve my own idea about Angels this will be fun

Kay L. Davies said...

The angel in the photo at the beginning of the video is one of the saddest angels I've ever seen, Shay.
I am letting the idea percolate, but I'm pretty sure something will come of it soon. Angels are not just for Christmas, that's certain.
K

Susan said...

Wow! What a song! I had not heard it before. I've got to share it on Facebook. I am grateful to you for this prompt, Fireblossom, as it took me somewhere I wanted to go.

Maude Lynn said...

I love the picture at the top of the post. Wow!

Helen said...

Leave it to you to entice me back into poetry mode ... I had declared a Holiday recess!

Anonymous said...

oh sure. you want angels and I write about crows. which i won't link to here, it being merry time and all. fine. guess i'll have to flip the mirror over and see what emerges from the light side. be back later :) ~

Anonymous said...

OK it's later and I've scraped a pen for the prompt, Shay. Cheers, and a good weekend to all ~

Peggy said...

This is a good prompt--lots to think about and many places to take it. My mind is kind of buzzing with all my possible angels at the moment and I hope to settle on one thought for a poem, Thanks for doing this at this busy time of year.

Ella said...

Beautiful video! Thank you Shay for this prompt~

Kay L. Davies said...

Hi Shay, I'm reporting back after posting. This is a true story, and although the angel did show up again in December, I didn't write about that part.
K

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Shay, you cannot know how heaven-sent this topic - and the poems written in response - are to me tonight. I have written to it but am not sure it is a poem, or should be published yet. I will think on it tomorrow. Just know I love what you and everyone else wrote to the topic, how much I adore the song (Jane is big in Tofino!) and how absolutely timely it all is on a night when I badly needed it. I think your prompt is my angel, tonight!

Gemma Wiseman said...

This song I have not heard in so long. I love it. Easily it allowed me to share the angel in my life.

Hannah said...

I really enjoyed the music part of this prompt and came across a version that I love even more...it's a sibling band called Paige Anderson and the Fearless Kin and they do a Blue Grass rendition of this song so beautifully.

After reading Kerry's comment I realize that I didn't use the title suggested either but it's on topic at least. ;)

Thank you, Fireblossom, for an excellent challenge.

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful choice Fireblossom..I wrote of my encounter with angels.

Susie Clevenger said...

For some reason I must have copied the Real Toads link into mr linky...but the second one is the correct one...sorry

Ella said...

Thank you Shay-you are an eXtra Angel

Susan said...

Shay, rarely has a prompt generated such depth of poetry. I am moved over and over again, and maybe changed, I am so much more aware. Thank you.

Fireblossom said...

I'm blown away at the responses to this! I think the challenge, like the song, took on a life of its own, in a very good way. Thanks to everyone for participating, and if I haven't been by to read yours yet, I will be no later than Sunday.

Lolamouse said...

Finally found some time to write and post. Will be back to read (soon, I hope!)

Anonymous said...

rather late, i know, but i can never pass up a Fireblossom prompt!

i'll be back in a bit to visit others.