Monday, December 8, 2014

Open Link Monday with Magaly

Excited about the Winter Solstice

I love cultural holidays that are based on living and merriment. When the snow falls thickly on the land, the Winter Solstice is my favorite. This year, my family and I will celebrate by cooking and eating yummy foods, and watching classic cartoons (I chose The ThunderCats!).

We have many traditions attached to the Winter Solstice. My husband and I wake up before the sun comes up, and go to the nearest woods—preferable near water—to wait for the Baby Sun to smile on us. We also eat fresh oranges for first breakfast.

After we welcome the sun, I make a candle; most often from recycled wax from the previous months. One of my favorite bits is to make a candle holder from an orange peel, and decorate it with other leftover yumminess: peels from pomegranates I ate on All Hallow’s Eve, used cinnamon from hot chocolate, star of anise from tea… 

Then at night, we light a small fire, to which we feed the fruit peels and sweet herbs I’ve been gathering for weeks. Yes, the scent is delicious!

Do you partake on any winter holiday celebrations that are personal to you and yours?

May your Monday be glorious, dear Toads. Stay warm, if you dwell in areas currently kissed by winter’s cold. If not, I’ll try not to envy your warm weather. Please share a poem. You choose the theme, publication date and everything else. As always, do visit other lovers of words.  

16 comments:

brudberg said...

Hi.. Winter solstice would be so great to celebrate.. Going up before sunrise is not hard at all here, and even easier to be awake at sunset.
Today the sunrise is 8:29 and sunset is 2:49 PM... So just a little darker before it turn lighter. Alas I think I will have to invent traditions.. Christianity exterminated all traditions (mostly related to blood) 1000 years ago. Fruitpeels sounds like a good idea.

Karen said...

The winter solstice is the day of my birth. I have always felt its influence.

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

i will try the candle burning with orange and mint leaves. lovely in the creation of what is soothing to the soul.

the narrative of my piece is that nothing, especially race relations, is 'black and white' as perceived

Steve King said...

What a lovely set of traditions to herald the winter season! Your photographs alone bring warmth to the room!
Steve K.

Anonymous said...

Hi--those are lovely traditions indeed, Magaly. I have been getting up quite early and in the dark, but it has been hunting season here so I've been a bit afraid to go outside then--AND it's been pretty cold.

Thanks for the pics. I am afraid I am maybe stretching the Toads' lenience today with a post that's not really a poem. But it is not long. Thanks. k.

Susan said...

How fine that you do these tradional celebrations with your partner/love! I did them with good friends for years, then by myself, then as a memory only shared with God. I believe God knows Jesus and Mother Earth, further and back again.

Gail said...

Celebrating is a great idea. There are cycles of seasons and of life.

Timoteo said...

'tis the season...greetings, Toads!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such an inspiring post, Magaly. Thank you foe sharing your special holiday traditions - makes me feel ashamed to say, that sunrise would see me rolling over in bed and going back to sleep!

Bjorn, of the Far North, you really must be well acquainted with the night!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Just flying by really quick to say that I'm off to have a dance with my orthopedic surgeon. Okay, so there will be no dancing, but thinking it might makes things a bit less frustrating.

I shall delight in your word yum when I get back. ♥

Kenia Santos said...

Late but not least important, I hope. I wrote today's poem for a class of mine. I hope you visit and enjoy it. They are having their final class today, I will add a photo later on.

Susie Clevenger said...

Sadly, my family has no traditions. Hope everyone has a great week!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Hi kids. My hibernating bear stirred and tossed me a few lines just now,so will link them here. I am having connectivity issues, but will get around to all of you, even if spottily.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Susie, my family winter traditions didn't go well with me. So I crafted some of my own. They feel right. ;-D

Margaret said...

Wonderful traditions. I recently heard one I really liked - collect "wishes" or thoughts - whatever - and write them on small pieces of paper and put them in a jar. When the solstice (or any special holiday or event) arrives, burn the wishes (read them all again is an option or not) ..

Thanks for hosting.

Ella said...

I can smell the fire and orange you kissed singed in the heat-beautiful! I am late, but will try to make the rounds! A lovely post filled with sentiment~