Thursday, January 21, 2016

Milkshakes Cold and Long - A Farewell

Image courtesy of Photo Bucket.

Monday, 5 AM, awoke in a Memphis hotel room. Because I am a millennial, the first thing I reach for is my cell phone and see the notification from the BBC: Music Legend David Bowie has died. 

At first, I swore I was dreaming.  I didn’t wake my older sister, who was snoring off Beale Street vodka tonics.  Instead, I put on my head phones and played Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.  

Image courtesy of Wiki Commons


DON’T THINK YOU KNEW YOU WERE IN THIS SONG

Today, Garden Dwellers, I am dedicating the Out of Standard space to the space oddity, the thin duke, the diamond dog, the goblin king, the earthling - Mr. Bowie. I call upon you to write a poem inspired by his music or iconography, or maybe inspired by your lack of inspiration (for our non-Bowie fans).  

And look, I could post a gazillion different you tube videos of all his hits: Rebel Rebel, Suffragette City, Changes, Life on Mars, Star Man,Young Americans, Let’s Dance....but there are so many and chances are you already have one in mind. 

I will leave you with my current Bowie favorite that I discovered late last year when listening to Ziggy Stardust for the first time.  But you don’t need my Bowie recommendations. You probably already have your own.


KEEP IN MIND 

Like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme.  


So go now, my muddy buddies, and bring us back something shiny and new to keep the space oddity a glow. 


7 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

It took me a while before I could listen to or watch his latest songs, but Black star is a tour de force. What a way to leave Earth for the great beyond.

hedgewitch said...

I normally have great difficulty writing to musical prompts but I happened to listen to a cut from Blackstar, which as Kerry says, is a fine album for anyone to go out on, and got a bit inspired. I will see if it turns into anything resembling a poem. Thanks Izy, for the challenege.

Susie Clevenger said...

A great challenge Izy. I listened to his song Heroes and just let the words fall as they may.

brudberg said...

Oh I will for sure write my second Bowie poem... wrote a persona poem stepping into Ziggy's shoes mixing it with Lazarus the other day... and I have already linked it here... so thinking cap on.

Marian said...

Wait, did you say "listening to Ziggy Stardust for the first time"?? Oh how wonderful!!
Like Bjorn I've been writing with Bowie soundtrack but I bet something else will percolate on the weekend so I will be back.
Hey welcome home from New Orleans, muddy traveler!

Jim said...

Thanks, Izzy. I am doing taxes today and have an evening engagement for tonight so I will probably have to miss. I did write a tribute poem in honor of Bowie on January 12 and posted for the Toads here.
I'd be honored if you would like to take a quick read, I wrote is trying to keep his "Slip Away" song in mind as I wrote. Mine is "Sail Away". I don't think you peeked in. Thanks.
http://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/2016/01/tribute-to-david-bowie-my-challeng-poem.html
..

Outlawyer said...

Hey Izy--mine is impossible long. Sorry. I don't know as much Bowie as I would like--some is wonderful. k.