Saturday, April 5, 2014

Poem a Day: Mirror, mirror

"Who is the fairest in the land?"  I was fascinated with this question from Snow White's fable as a child. Imagine beholding a magical mirror and being told, "My queen, you are the fairest in the land." 

I also learned that breaking the mirror was bad luck for seven years so I was ever so careful with handling mirrors. This superstition has its roots to an old Roman legend that mirrors have a strong connection with the soul.   It is thought that a soul needs seven years to regenerate and renew itself.  

My favorite mirror is a hand-held oval-shaped ivory which I put inside my bag. I have had it for many years and I never go out without my small mirror.  Call it vanity but I feel "secure" when I have my old trusted friend with me.



Our challenge today is to write about mirrors.    Imagine yourself looking into the mirror and write a post, without using the pronoun I.  What internal dialogue goes through your head?  Describe what you see or don't see or use your other senses to narrate your experience.

As an option, you can also write about the absence of mirrors.   What would your life be without mirrors? What would the world look like without mirrors?


Photography by Margaret Bednar


Please write an original poem or prose poem specific to this challenge and post it on Mr. Linky provided below.   Don't forget to visit your fellow writers too ~   

I look forward to reading your words ~

Happy Saturday ~ Grace (aka Heaven)



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a huge fan of mirrors, me... But loved the prompt (and can't believe I'm the first one to post)!

Grace said...

CCC & Gillena, thanks for sharing your work ~

I'm still writing for my own prompt, smiles ~

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

i find mirrors captivating. being of indian heritage, mirror images whether by water or reflecting material, are soulfully portentous if misused. they do capture a world that is 'reflective' of the notion that there are other worlds in different plains.

Sumana Roy said...

cool prompt Grace..shared my lines
..

Ella said...

A difficult write for me-so I wrote it kinda odd like rambling thoughts. It was revealing and maybe I needed to do this- Thank you, Grace~

Charleen said...

Thank you for the posting opportunity!

Other Mary said...

I'm soooo behind! I'll stop by later, or maybe even tomorrow to read everyone's mirror pieces. Er.. so to speak. :o)

Susan said...

hey Toads! happy Poetry Month! I'll be back to read and comment.

Susie Clevenger said...

Great Challenge!!

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh and I love Margaret's photo!!

Grace said...

Thanks to all of you who have posted so far ~

Hey, Susie, Margaret's photo is lovely ~ Thanks, Margaret ~

brudberg said...

Great prompt Grace.. it seems to be a good thing to spend my saturday night.. and it gave me a great opportunity to practice Villanelle... it's been soo long since I wrote one..

Hannah said...

Interesting "response" to the challenge above...?


Thank you for this creative post and what you've shared with us about your story, too, Grace.

Grace said...

I am doing my rounds now ~

Steve F - please note that this is a poetry community ~

Siggi in Downeast Maine said...

I think the concept of a mirror of ones life is an interesting prompt... so many ways to go with it.
Thank you.
Peace
Siggi

Anonymous said...

Hey Margaret-- a very interesting prompt--I took it in a weird place because the idea of looking into a mirror rather painful--I actually have no full length ones in my house--ha--anyway, thanks. k.

Kenia Santos said...

Grace, I'm not in the mirror mood, I wish I were, I would have written a better piece, but I didn't want to lose your prompt. Hope it's ok. :)

Kiss.

Margaret said...

,,, I was raking and working in the yard to day for 9 hours. Just squeaked this under the wire (I am attempting 30 poems in 30 days for April. Thanks, Grace for the prompt - it was a hard one for me as I didn't want to use "mirror" in the traditional sense. I started and stopped many poems. Had to settle on the one I did as the clock was striking twelve! :)

Will most likely be swinging 'round tomorrow evening and commenting as I still have LOTS of yard work to do.

Louisette said...

Nice blog and poems, greting from Belgium

Anonymous said...

dang, the prompts are coming fast and furious. Sorry to not post, Grace. Have a good week ~