Monday, April 21, 2014

Open Link Monday

Welcome to the Imaginary Garden ...

photo credit: BluePrince Architectural via photopin cc

“To do the useful thing, to say the courageous thing, to contemplate the beautiful thing: that is enough for one man's life.” ― T.S. Eliot, The Use of Poetry and the Use of Criticism

As we begin the third week of NaPoWriMo, I am struck by what an onerous task it is to be a poet - in any age, but especially in our own. I'm sure every poet that has ever lived has felt the same: the weight of responsibility to speak to his or her generation. I so often read poetry on the blogs which tackle the difficult subjects of our age, the uncomfortable truths, the falsehoods perpetuated by authoritarians, the ugly realities that have come to be acceptable in modern society. Yet, somehow, the poets among us must find the balance and portray the harmony, beauty and make us believe that a pursuit of an ideal is still a worthwhile activity. I applaud every one, who finds it in them to pick up the pen once more (or opens a computer document) and begins to fill the page with words.

We write so that we may record our thoughts, but also in the hope that others will read and contemplate this life we share from a new angle. This is one of the reasons why I believe that communal blogsites such as this one, are vitally important in creating the connection between poet and reader, as well as providing a metting place for writers. Our Open Link affords us all the opportunity to share, comment and to be inspired by the power of poetry.

17 comments:

Kenia Santos said...

I'm the first just because I can't sleep. I'm sharing something I wrote earlier last weekend, today marks the return to my regular routine, I'll be visiting you guys later.

Happy Monday everyone!

Anonymous said...

Kerry, you really inspired me with this intro... Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lead here Kerry, thanks for the homily for poetry in this congregation of lily pads ... Today I link to poem that's been stuck in my craw for a while and may never emerge quite right, as its matter is perhaps impossible any more to say. Guess I get to be the bleeding deacon here ...

Susie Clevenger said...

Kerry, your words are so inspiring. I am so blessed to be part of the garden. I am leaving on a short trip today, but I will be checking in, writing, and reading. Have a great week everyone!

Jinksy said...

I loved the nod to poets who look for beauty, not uncomfortable truths - they need no underlining!
I had to look no further than outside my window for inspiration, and my keyboard clattered into life, before I grabbed for my camera to complete the picture...

Fireblossom said...

I was torn between posting the topical or the pretty this morning,l but went with the pretty after reading your intro, Kerry.

Margaret said...

Thank you! I have some catching up to do as I spent the weekend with four of my children oceanside - it was gray and rainy - but that didn't ruin our fun.

Kerridwen said...

Linking another Ireland related poem - I know some of you will have read my previous ones :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks, friends! I have just done a 6 hour round trip to return one of my girls to her university town, so I am bushed. I'm linking up another Chapter in my Blake-inspired project, which I posted earlier in the week. Many thanks to those who have already visited me and commented.

Mark Kerstetter said...

Good Monday morning, all. My poem might be short on beauty, but hopefully has enough truth to be useful.

Charleen said...

Here is mine!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry--thanks for the inspiring post. I do not know for sure what day of national poetry month this is! Ha! But I've squeezed something rather weird out. It did not go in the expected direction and maybe in a rather trivial one, but the good thing about this month is that one cannot worry too much.

Hope you had a great holiday and had plenty of time with your daughter. K.

Anonymous said...

in late... happy week to all ~

Susan said...

I'm afraid I did not act with the full glory of the pen tonight, dear Kerry. I enjoyed your essay very much, but have been ill, you see.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to so many Toads who came on my blog to express their support and their sadness at the sudden death of Riley's good friend Nina on a crosswalk in Laguna Beach, CA. It meant the world to me and I passed on the info to Riley. That and Holy Week are the reasons I have not been around. First one, a lack of poetic motivation; the second, well, pastor's wife and music minister. Life itself is a bit bipolar for me right now! Thanks again. Love, Amy

Ella said...

Beautifully said! Thank you Kerry~

colleen said...

Thanks for providing this forum. Open link sharing helps motivate me to write.