Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Invoking "the Goog"



Greetings Garden Dwellers!

Welcome back to Out of Standard, where I will set before you a challenge to defy the conventions of a particular theme.  I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday, but caution: there will be a twist.  Let’s move onward April’s challenge...


INVOKING “THE GOOG”

Today is the day we turn our gaze the tiny Google search box and invite it to write some poetry with us.  That’s right....shake its hand, bring it a beverage, whatever you got to do to get acquainted, cause the search box of Google (or as I call it The Goog) just became your muse.  Here is how it works:


THE CHALLENGE

  • Begin typing a word or phrase.
  • The Google search box will attempt to “auto complete” your search by spitting out a list of possible options for what you are looking for.  See the screen capture below.  I typed in “join” and Google gave me a list of phrases beginning with “join”.




  • Take a screen capture (screenshot) of the list.
  • Write a poem using those phrases in the exact order Google provided them to you. It is not required that each line start with a phrase from Google.  You can embed them or break them up across lines to your liking.
  • Post your poem and your screenshot of your unique Google list to Mr. Linky.



KEEP IN MIND 
Like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme.  

So go now, my muddy buddies, and bring us back something shiny and new. 






12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear... You're not making things easy for us, but I look forward to having a go at this! See you later!

Anonymous said...

Just discovered a small problem... I'm in Sweden, which is not an English speaking country (stating the obvious here) and Google won't let me search in any other language than Swedish... I'll see if I can sort it out somehow, but I might have to try a variation on the theme. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Sumana Roy said...

thanks for the interesting challenge....

Ella said...

Intriguing a Google poem! Off to play-thank you Izy~

Susie Clevenger said...

Great challenge...It was a tough one for me. Writing from a motel room where I need to be about the business of checking out isn't the best place for communion with my muse. I will catch up with reading and commenting when I get back home. Have a great day!!

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a great idea for a challenge, Izy.

Maude Lynn said...

This was fun!

Kay L. Davies said...

I haven't the vaguest idea how to do a screen shot. I've heard of such a thing, but it doesn't feature in my life experience.
Too bad, Izy, because this looks like a fun challenge.
K

Margaret said...

How does one do a screen shot on a Mac?

Susan said...

What a great prompt! Meaningful to me despite its random element. I usually avoid word lists, but choosing the starting place made so much difference.

Margaret said...

I'll be back in the morning to visit and comment - I'm behind a few prompts in my visiting …

Isadora Gruye - you always exhaust me :)

Hannah said...

Well I learned something new and now I know how to do a screen shot and create a poem from the Goog!! Thank you Izy!