Friday, July 18, 2014

Fireblossom Friday: Another You

Hello Pond folk, Fireblossom here with another Fireblossom Friday. One of my all-time favorite movies is a little thing called Another Earth. A second Earth appears as a dot in the sky and gradually comes closer. (This would cause disaster on an epic scale in reality, but the movie isn't meant to be taken literally--it's a fable of sorts, about choices and redemption.) 

It turns out that on this other Earth, there is another you, another me, another everybody, but that things stopped being synchronized at the moment the other Earth became visible, and so for more than four years, that other version has been on its own track. 

What would you do if you came face to face with the other you? What would you say? What if you had made a mess of things here....might the other you have done better? What if the reverse were true, and your mirror self were on a downward spiral?

I want you to write about the other you. What if you had married X instead of Y? What if you had chosen a different path in life? If you had a hundred chances at living this life you're in, what might one of those lives be like? I ask only that your alternate self be possible; maybe not likely, but at least possible. In the movie, the point of difference is just four years in the past, but you may place it anywhere. Really, anything the clip inspires you to write will be okay. And, as usual, please write a new poem specifically for this challenge. Then link up!

15 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Fireblossom, this was delicious. It made me think about some wonderful things... about the important reasons why I wouldn't change any of those things (not even the ugly bits).

And now, I must watch the movie!

hedgewitch said...

This one set me off on a journey into myth --perhaps that's where the other world exists where I really belong? Anyway, thanks for a very unique and inspiring challenge, Shay.

Gail said...

This one came too easily.

Thanks for the prompt.

Other Mary said...

Ok, I will try to write about another Other Mary, lol.

Ella said...

Thank you, FB, I needed this~

Lolamouse said...

Wow. Mind blown. Must see movie.

Maude Lynn said...

This looks like an incredible movie.

Susan said...

I'm a fan of this film and couldn't resist this prompt. Typical of a workaholic, though, my first attempt only imagined in terms of work! Ha! I've got to do something about that.

Jim said...

Another fun write today. There really is a man in Houston like I wrote of. People get me confused with others, often is this man.
BTW, the lady is still in prison.
..

Jim said...

p.s. Mr. Linky added some stuff to my name on the first link. Sorry. ;)
..

21 Wits said...

Thank you Fireblossom, my other me, had much to pour out. This is my first time posting for it, and it serves very well. Thank so much.

Susie Clevenger said...

Fireblossom, I have never seen the film, but from viewing the trailer I really hope to watch it. Such an interesting concept, a world with another me living on it.

Hannah said...

Awesome film, FB! Thanks for the prompt!

Fireblossom said...

Hi everybody. I'll be around to visit everyone before the weekend is out. :-)

Anonymous said...

i love this challenge, FB ~ it made me stop and think about the changes i might want to make... and then to appreciate what i have in this life.