Monday, July 21, 2014

Open Link Monday

Welcome to the Imaginary Garden...

photo credit: jennyhsu47 via photopin cc
We live in tragic times, dear Toads, and I sometimes wonder how we maintain a hopeful outlook on life, bring children into this world and strive to believe that good will always overcome the destructive forces that surround us. And what is our task as poets?

In the words of Henrik Ibsen:

"...And what does it mean, then, to be a poet? It was a long time before I realized that to be a poet means essentially to see, but mark well, to see in such a way that whatever is seen is perceived by the audience just as the poet saw it. But only what has been lived through can be seen in that way and accepted in that way. And the secret of modern literature lies precisely in this matter of experiences that are lived through...  But no poet lives through anything in isolation. What he lives through all of his countrymen live through with him." Read the full essay HERE.

We have the opportunity to write and share our words each week in this meeting place. Furthermore, we have the opportunity to read what our fellow poets have written of their unique world view. These are liberties which we should not take lightly. Please link up a poem of your choice today, and take some time to read and comment on the work of the other poets who make use of this forum.




11 comments:

Kenia Santos said...

Good morning to those of you waking up. It's 2:30 a.m. and I can't seem to find reasons to go to bed. I'm insomniac tonight. :/

Wishing you all a great start!

Kiss.

Magaly Guerrero said...

The quote left me thinking about all the times we look without seeing or speak without saying anything... In how this adds to the tragedy.

I'm hoping for great records, better memories and well-marked words.

avalon said...

Poetry has proved a personal way of Catharsis [ the purification and purgation of emotions—especially pity and fear—through art or any extreme change in emotion that results in renewal and restoration.] in a way I had never expected. On Friday I was desperate to write and read about the crash and finding others had written as well proved a real help. It led me to examine what goes into trying to be an artist in everyday life, facing up to the bad and ugly as much as taking in the good and beautiful.As most everything in life: it is a duality.
Thanks for being here and providing an ear and an eye and inspiration.

Anonymous said...

best wishes to all for a good week, amongst all the gloom that permeates the aether ~

Jim said...

Hi Kerry ~~ I liked the essay and I will finish it after logging on.

Yes, even those pretty water lilies (that's way I call them) you pictured today have a tale. lmost a year ago now when I was playing my Tuesday golf a friend's ball and mine went into a little lake/big pond just full of theses floating plants. We saved both balls with a retriever on a pole.

The funny part of my story is that my ball was resting on top of one of the large leaves.

"One of these days" I am going to write something new for your Monday Toads. I like reading others that I haven't read and I hope there are others who feel the same way.
..

Timoteo said...

It's easy bein' green when you are among Toads!

Susan said...

Try to have a good week.

Unknown said...

have a great week guys...

Ella said...

I have missed all of you and the garden! I will go back and read Saturday and Friday poems! I know I missed some great poems-

Congrats, Hannah! I tried your form-I love it~

lynn__ said...

"No poet lives through anything in isolation." Good to share our thoughts (and unique world views) with a community of poets...thank you, Toads.

Susan said...

I'm at a church yearly business meeting for 5 days, but i'll be back to catch up on my reading by next open mic night. I'll miss my daily poems!