Monday, July 7, 2014

Open Link Monday

Welcome to the Imaginary Garden ...

photo credit: Ian Sane via photopin cc

Greetings to all toads, friends and followers. Before we get to today's Open Link, allow me to apologize for my absence last Monday. I live in a small town in a region which experiences very dry Winters - there has been no rain since the end of April and one of the problems we face is veld fires. Just such a fire flared up last Monday and burnt a major telephone cable, which resulted in my neighborhood being without our service for 6 days, while we waited for it to be repaired. Here is a picture taken a few years ago by my daughter - this is the view from my kitchen door over to the neighbour's house, with a small fire burning on the hill.


So, I have experienced an enforced break from blogging this first week of my vacation, which was very frustrating and I have a lot of catching up to do. It is a new week and another opportunity to share a poem of your choice with everyone in the garden - please enjoy your time spent in the garden, and be sure to visit a few of your fellow poets. Your encouragement and warm comments make the world of online poetry a vibrant and dynamic environment to be a part of. Thank you.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good week to all ~

Margaret said...

Kerry - the photo is horrifying and much too close a call! Enjoy your vacation…sometimes one just needs to not worry about catching up… but to just pick up and move forward. Thank you for all you do.

Timoteo said...

Hiya Toads. We were green before green was cool!

avalon said...

The first thing I feel when I see that photograph is the smell. Or rather the effect it has on breathing, So scary. Hope it doesn't happen again this year.

Anonymous said...

Hi all -- Kerry, in Florida we have wildfires in the spring ("veld" and "wild" have a strange ring) -- though I think grapeling out in sunny (dry) California sees more of your disastrous kin. Hope the break allowed you a space to breathe inward and out. Without the smoke.

Unknown said...

Kerry that's quite a fire there... but even so the picture is so beautiful!! today i shared a poem that i wrote a long time back... when i had merely started my blog!! not a lot of people reda it i think back then... thanx for this oppurtunity to share it here... hope you like it!!

Roan said...

The iris is beautiful and the fire shot is a good one, but very scary. Hope all is well the reast of the season.

Laura said...

I'm glad you are safe. What an amazing photograph!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kerry--what an amazing photo--if one were not near by. I have a feeling there was more going on than lack of blogging ability--I hope your air wasn't smokey and all of that--

At any rate, glad that you are back and hope that you were able to get some rest in your break. k.

Phil Slade said...

A scary fire there Mama Zen. I hope you are all safe and well.

Magaly Guerrero said...

The picture shows "a small fire"! Oh dear goodness, that is very scary. I'm glad you and yours are all right and I hope the same is true for those affected by the fire.

Jim said...

Oh Kerry, this fire was not good for you. Could have been a lot worse though. We have these fires in Texas also and a lot of the other Western states do. Especially California. I think their picking up is a part of the World Wide Climate Change situation although "they" say that the fires are good for the forests in the long run.

I know it was scary for you. We get a little scared even when our closest so far has been a couple of miles away. We live less than a mile from a National Forest.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

I wrote something! Yay!!!

Thanks to Margaret's prompt for providing the jump off point for this piece.

Gail said...

Not sure if I'm getting through. Computer died and using widows eight. Totally lost and confused. Will be around to read as soon I mine is repaired

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Kerry, those fires come very close to the houses. It must be a worry. Happy Monday, fellow Toads. I, for one, am happy to be starting a new week. I have much catching up to do! Plunging in!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

What a dramatic picture. I'm hopeful everyone's okay - thank goodness.

Safety first. Poetry second.

lynn__ said...

Some tense moments with veld fires, I'm sure. I wrote something "short and sweet" over our holiday weekend...thanks for leaving link open past Monday!