Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Word List for July


Finished feeding

Soon...
Newly emerged
Resting after first flight

Waiting for the next visitor


Summer is in full bloom. Monarch butterflies keep visiting the milkweed, so we've been careful not to disturb either caterpillars or chrysalis. Tomatoes are starting to come in, but the squash have succumbed alternately to gophers and powdery mildew. The eggplant look good, though.

I've not been writing much, but find it's again my turn to till the soil in the imaginary garden. Hopefully we'll plant seeds to flourish rather than wilt.

Here is the word list, plucked one from each of the last ten prompts here in IGWRT.

fresh, burst, defy, chain, struck, forward, exchange, customary, prefer, close

There's no particular theme; free associate at your leisure.

If you're new or it's been a while, here's the process: please select at least three words and pen a new poem, add it to Mr. Linky below, and of course we ask that you pay a visit to, and comment on, each of the other contributions. If you come by early, please return later.

(All photos taken in my garden over the past few weeks.)

Thanks for coming by, and I look forward to seeing what blooms.

M ~



22 comments:

Vandana Sharma said...

Al the pictures are so nice and beautifully depict the journey from caterpillar to butterfly!!

Unknown said...

What beautiful pictures... amazed!!

Scarlet said...

Lovely pictures M ~ Baby robins have hatched by our entrance door and sadly the bunnies have been feasting on our herbal garden ~

Thanks for the challenge ~

Grace

hedgewitch said...

Yes, the time of the squash is briefer every year it seems--here we have squash borers, and gardening organically, there's not much you can do but pick the early fruit and kiss the plant goodbye. But the okra is starting to come on, and the tomatoes and cucumbers are lavish. Thanks for the photos and list, M. I will see what I can do--we have company staying but will try to find the space to assemble something from these raw materials.

Ella said...

Beautiful! Thank you, Michael! Summer feels like a marathon-these days! I feel inspiration fluttering~

Magaly Guerrero said...

The images and the list are such a feast for the muse. Now, I can't stop thinking about my potted garden growing into a grove...

Marian said...

nice list! love seeing your monarch photos... we have hardly any this year, so each sighting is a cause for celebration and applause. i let the milkweed grow rampant in my garden but they just aren't here, mostly. this is a bad sign, i fear. very bad.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Beautiful pics! Oh I'd love to see a monarch caterpillar in my garden! Also a great selection of words to work from, M. Many thanks.

Margaret said...

Yes. Amazing photos. I still have to visit open link Monday, but I will hop over here when am done. Thanks

avalon said...

What a treat!
Those pictures of these gorgeous creatures. How fortunate you are to be able to observe that in your garden. I suppose we have nice ones over here, but nothing so exotic.
I'm never good with wordlists, but give me a few days and who knows what bubbles up in my head. After a Pimms maybe.

21 Wits said...

Oh my lovely photos of your delightful garden indeed. How fun to play along and I used all of your ten words!

Grandmother Mary said...

Loved your photos and linked your prompt to the one from Helen that I was still working on.

Hannah said...

What a beautifully crisp strand of progression images, M...thank you for sharing and thank you for pooling some words together here to puzzle today. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey M---I should have used one of the pics really--though this was a reverse metamorphosis. oh well! thanks. k.

avalon said...

I'm afraid I took some liberties here ....;-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Michael,

Thanks for this challenge. Went immediately to one of my real loves, thunderstorms. Aaaah...

To Toads, haven't been around much lately (more meds changes to control my own "thunderstorms" within), but trying to keep in touch.

Love you all MADLY. Amy

Nonnie said...

one of my most prized memories of teaching 1st grade was the year I had anet hanging with many chrysalises. we were lucky to have them break open during school sessions!

Margaret said...

Midnight! Just made it :)

Anne V said...

Such beautiful hyper colors. Great photography!

Marian said...

super-late entry! i'll be around later to read all of yours. :)

Jennifer Wagner said...

Spectacular photos M!

Jennifer Wagner said...

I'm super late, but I did finally put something together. I'll be round the next day or two to read. Thanks for the list M!