Monday, April 4, 2016

April Poetry Month - Day 4 - "Nature Poetry"


Nature has long inspired the poetic mind.    Poets(dot)org - Nature Poems/Academy of American Poets has some historic context and examples.

My photos are from this weekend on Ocracoke Island, (The Outer Banks) North Carolina, USA.  It is not necessary to use these images (but you are more than welcome to them),  I highly encourage you to pull from the nature surrounding you everyday, perhaps share a favorite retreat or recall a childhood vacation.   Or, feel free to write a poem after watching the video below of my beloved Outer Banks.  It is a slow-moving, almost meditative video.



If you have an old poem that needs reworking, please feel free to use it.  Of course, new poems are always awesome - I know a poem a day in April can get pretty hectic.  Thanks for playing along with this Imaginary Garden and I look forward to reading your words.

Please use Mr. Linky at the bottom of this page and remember to visit the other poets.










15 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Hey everyone,

Hope you're having a pleasant week so far, sharing an old but cherished poem "Take me to the Ocean" which was written earlier on this year. Hope you guys like it.

Thank you so much Margaret for the lovely opportunity!!

Lots of love,
Sanaa

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Thanks for the suggestion of revising an old poem. I was able to do something with one which has languished for 10 years! (After that amount of time, I could see at once what to cut ruthlessly. *Grin.*)

Marian said...

What lovely photos! Thank you, Margaret.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thank you for bringing the ocean into my own home.

Ellecee said...

This is a beautiful post. The pictures are lovely and the video made me want to plan a trip there right away. Lots of inspiration here, thanks so much,,

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Nice going, Margaret. Whether in a hurry or doddling we all can get the spirit of nature to prompt us along. I love your pictures. I too had one with a bird sitting a post. No little boy fishing, out of camera view were my then age four granddaughter and I paddling along in a rented paddle boat, in the heart of London at Regent's Park.
..

Outlawyer said...

Beautiful photos, Margaret--especially like those with your little boy. k.

grapeling said...

nice photos, Margarert. Since my PAD is not close to being on prompt, I did not link to toads today...

Anonymous said...

I had an entirely different poem set for Day 4, but I read the prompt and had to add my natural two cents to the subject.

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful photos and inspiration Margaret. Thank you

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool prompt....as it happens, I wrote one this weekend in Tofino! Great timing! I will make the rounds a bit later this afternoon, and am looking forward to the wonderful nature poetry!

Marilyn Cavicchia said...

I did this prompt and Poetic Asides' (distance) and NaPoWriMo/Maureen's (April or whatever month you think is the cruelest), and -- tangentially -- my own assignment to write about attention all this month. A fourfer? :)

Other Mary said...

Such lovely pictures, Margaret. Thank you for hosting.

Margaret said...

Just got back from Ocracoke Island. I'll visit and comment tomorrow. Thank you all for playing!