Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Tuesday Platform

It’s Tuesday, your free-range day of the week here in the Imaginary Garden. Share with us, something old, something new, or your April 5 entry for NaPoWriMo. And then hop around to read what other pond-dwellers have shared.

For those who need a prompt today, or who just want to revel, I offer this *optional* extra challenge: VILLANELLE, a lovely form I have never attempted, let alone mastered. I know some of you enjoy writing villanelles--I'm thinking of Bjorn in particular. Check out Bjorn's villanelles for inspiration.


And here are my heroes They Might Be Giants with a SONG that is a villanelle. Showoffs!




16 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I'm not feeling very rebellious, just tired and trying to stay awake for another hour and a half. So I'll go with something old(ish). ;-)

Happy Tuesday!!!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Hello everyone,

Its Magaly Guerrero's birthday today!! Sharing my poem "Decorous Dirge" which has been written solely in her honor :D hope you all like it.

Thank you Marian for this lovely opportunity!!

Lots of love,
Sanaa

Gemma Wiseman said...

I dared to try a villanelle today. Thanks for the challenge.

Outlawyer said...

Hi Marian, I have written a number of villanelles but somehow in trying this came out instead! I may still think about it, but for another day likely. Thanks! k .

Marian said...

Well. I wrote a villanelle!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

It had been a long time since I wrote a villanelle. It was fun to try one again.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks for that song choice, Marian. I am going to show it to my students for inspiration.

I had something left over from the weekend but will come back to the villanelle another day.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Good morning, toadlets. Ack! I forgot about the villanelle, and did mean to try it..... but went with an old one, though I did write a silly thing for another prompt to technically fulfill day 5. Thanks, Marian, for hosting.

Susie Clevenger said...

I didn't even attempt a villanelle. For the most part I am rhyme challenged, but I look forward to reading poetry today. :)

Jim said...

I too am rebellious today, but not for villanelles.
Thank you, hope your kiddie filter doesn't censor.
..

Linda C. Folks said...

I have only written one other villanelle and that was a long time ago. But,,,Marion, I have accepted your challenge. Thank you.

brudberg said...

Hello Marian... I'm now back from a little absence... and thank your for mention my Villanelle's It's been a long while since I wrote one, and might do it again soon... today I'm sharing something on railways instead...

Timoteo said...

A little late today, Toads. Enjoy!

Marilyn Cavicchia said...

Oops ... Didn't mean to add myself twice. It looked like it didn't go, so I did it again. :)

Margaret said...

this really is written for my "nature" poetry prompt but got in from a mini-vacation late last night so I am dropping it here as well. I am off to visit and comment on my "Day 4" hosting challenge and will be by most likely tomorrow to visit and comment here. :)

Margaret said...

Can't get into your link ava... FYI