Saturday, April 2, 2016

Still Getting Out of the Starting Gate - April Poetry Month Day 2



April Poetry Month Day 2 and it's Manicddaily/Karin Gustafson here (unfortunately also known as Outlawyer) and I'm suggesting horses.  A horse!  (So beautiful!) Anything even remotely equine! (The smell of leather?)

I love horses, though I've hardly ever ridden.  So, I'm hoping nearly everyone has some memory, association, fantasy, involving a horse, whether the horse is saddled between their legs, made of pink plastic and purple maned, or trotting around some distant background.



So, for today, let some equine association get you out of of the starting gate. Keep in mind that the horse portion of your poem can be very peripheral.  (There could simply be an off-track betting salon down the street, a cave painting--as set forth above--a knee-high boot, a horseshoe, some Monty Python coconut shells.)

Also, frankly, the purpose of these April posts is to help you get writing if you're stuck. If you have a second day of April poem, please feel free to link it here even if it has remarkably little to do with horses.





Whatever!  Just run with what you've got.  Have fun, and try to make a little time to visit other poets.

BTW, the pics are watercolors and ipad illustrations made by me. (I’m not so great at horses but just like them.)  Feel free to use, but please credit to Karin Gustafson. Thanks!


26 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Karin (unfortunately also known as Outlawyer *this made me laugh*), you can draw magic with an iPad. Wow. I truly love the horses, especially the ghostly one.

I hope you like my horse. I'm pretty sure it's a unicorn. ;-)

Susie Clevenger said...

Wow! What fabulous drawings. Thanks so much for the prompt!

Jim said...

I too like horses, K. I rode my 'Minnie' to high school for my first two years. That was a Nebraska two room country school, there were three of us in my class.
Thank you for the nice prompt, it was fun. Your drawings are up to their standard again, you do sooo well. The first is my favorite, to me it has a Van Gogh touch. I don't remember him doing any horses though, so it's the French Provence background, looking out from St. Remy.
..

grapeling said...

no horses, but what the *hay* ~ M

Gemma Wiseman said...

How strange. I took photos of horses at the beach early on Good Friday morning. Of course I had to feature one with my poem.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I created a poem at poetry of the netherworld.blogspot.com using this and the napowrimo prompt. Fortunately I have access to my tablet tonight, but it's still hard to copy URLs.
Thanks to everyone who visited me yesterday. I am recovering from a severe depression episode. I will try to visit some of you.

Anonymous said...

I too fell in love with the invisible horse... Great prompt - and today I needed prompting!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Hey everyone,

Lovely prompt Karin :D I have just gotten home from work (yeah can you believe it? I mean its Saturday!) Exhausted! But I'll bounce back later with something bright and new :D

Lots of love,
Sanaa

Outlawyer said...

Thanks for kind comments and wonderful poems. I seem to be front-loading this April and may do a couple. (Probably good, since my mid-week gets rather jammed.)

Feel free to do the same. k .

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love the unexpected places this prompt took me – and that afterwards I realised you had given me the perfect picture to illustrate my poem, too.

hedgewitch said...

Love the artwork, Karin. So sorry to be unable to participate, but best wishes to all who can, especially those who are starting the April journey.

Outlawyer said...

Hope you feel better soon, wonderful Hedgewitch. k.

Marilyn Cavicchia said...

Horses are so evocative for a lot of us -- especially women, I think (?). My poem today combines this prompt and the one over at Poetic Asides, which is a he said/she said conversation.

Other Mary said...

Your paintings are great! I haven't decided if I'm doing the daily challenge yet, but thank you so much for providing prompts every day.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What beautiful horses!! Great prompt, Karin.

Marian said...

Woke up to this, eleven poems already! Overachievers! :)
Neeiiggghhhhhh see you later...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Argh, my tablet will not let me link. My horsey poem is at http://stardreamingwithsherrybluesky.blogspot.ca/a-horse-in-her-back-yard. Sorry, kids. Lots to learn on the tekky learning curve.

Outlawyer said...

Sherry, I'll try linking your poem. k .

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ellecee, this link does not allow viewers on without permission. Please would you link again?

Outlawyer said...

ps - Kerry--I was able to go to Ellecee;s blog from her comment on mine. Here was the link: http://elleceespoetry.blogspot.ca/2016/04/we-ride.html#comment-form (to comment form anyway.)

Hannah said...

Thank you, for the challenge, K!! :)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Thanks, Karin, for the link.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Ellecee, I'm have the same issues Kerry is experiencing. I can't get to your blog.

Outlawyer said...

Nobody should feel obliged to go to my second. I just have a little more time today than I might in the days coming up so taking advantage of that. Take care! k.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Hope you like my offering K!
xoxo

said...

I turned "horses" into "whore says." I hope that's okay ... creative license, and all.