Saturday, April 30, 2016

Poetizing the Maypole

Greetings, Toads! Can you feel the cruellest month slipping away… as May slides into her rightful place? I’m sure you can—the seasons have a magic way of writing their arrival into our bones. I hope the month that’s about to end was enriched by poetry and living. On the 30th day of April poetry at The Garden, I wish for us to open our hearts to May.

Today’s Prompt: write a new poem inspired by the Maypole.

“A maypole is a tall wooden pole erected as a part of various folk festivals, around which a maypole dance often takes place.” Cultures from all over the world dance around the Maypole for different reasons. I, for instance, do it to celebrate romantic love that heats the flesh, warms the soul, and fills the soil with Nature’s need to bloom.

“The Last of the Maypole Dancers”, by Ilsa Elford

Please, feed Mr. Linky (below) with the direct link to your poem.
Visit other Toads. Wink at May… remind her she’s wanted.
Let delicious poetry dance right out of your soul, dear Toads!

16 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Happiest Saturday, everyone! ♥

Gemma Wiseman said...

This one is a bit difficult for us in the southern hemisphere. Autumn is our world. But I'll try to make some connection.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Wooo hoooo :D posted!! Last day of NaPoWriMo :D its been so great!!
xo

Rommy said...

Woot! We made it everyone! LOL, and the big finish comes with a happy dance.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

This one's doing double duty as final April poem for both toads and Dark Poetry.

I had the same problem as Gemma, but found a way – or it found me.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Gemma and Rosemary, I will blame it all on April Madness. I can't believe I didn't think of difference in seasons before crafting this prompt. I'm so glad you guys worked with it, in a such a yummy way. ♥♥

brudberg said...

For me the maypole is a tad early.. we dance around the pole at Midsummer... but I thought about change and how much that happens around this time... Happy conclusion everyone... I had a slow start but made up for it during the month

Magaly Guerrero said...

Bjorn, I think I was so happy about the coming of May and the approach of the warmth, that I forgot that my world isn't everyone else's. Terrible me, lol!

Gina said...

Visiting your prompt via Magaly's Dark Poetry for the Cruellest month...and what a fabulous prompt it is :D XXX

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh my...a beautiful prompt. April has been hectic.

Hannah said...

What an awesome moth it has been!! Thank you, everyone!

Thank you for the challenge today, Magaly!

Marilyn Cavicchia said...

And that's it. Another NaPoWriMo in the books. Glad I discovered this blog and this community. :)

Outlawyer said...

Thanks all for a wonderful month, and thanks, Magaly, for prompt. k.

De Jackson said...

Sorry 'bout the first link (it goes back to yesterday's Toad's poem, instead of today's.) Happy May Day, y'all! We made it!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thanks very much for poetizing the Maypole, dear Toads! ♥

Gillena Cox said...

Old high school friend, living abroad comes for a visit... Who has time for writing about Maypoles... me and him...Drinking Pomegrante juice in the backyard shade... Yup that was my Saturday

However its May first... who can resist a maypole prompt... though late

much love...