Saturday, April 22, 2017

Bits Of Inspiration ~ Mi Young Lee

Recently I was privileged to reconnect with the artist, Mi Young Lee, at The Bayou City Art Festival in Houston. She is a talented artist with such a beautiful spirit. While we were discussing her art and inspiration she did the most amazing thing. She gifted me with one of her lithographs. It is not a copy, but an original work of art, individually inked, pulled, and signed. I was stunned, humbled, and grateful for such a beautiful gift.

As we continued to talk she spoke of a woman who had written a poem about one of her paintings so I thought it would be fitting to use my gift as inspiration for poetry here in the garden.


Mi Young Lee's philosophy about her painting is, "The style and techniques I utilize in translating my feelings to images have grown from within myself as a result of my emotional response to my work and my life's experiences. My paintings are a composite of geometric forms, organic shapes, gestures, and texture, combined in a kaleidoscope of color to create an image of harmony, energy and optimism."

I see many things when I look at this painting, joy, heart, spring, hope, peace, strength, blue sky. I could go on and on. Here are a few quotes that I feel connect me to the art.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." Buddha

"Gratitude changes the pangs of memory into a tranquil joy." 
 Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony, and the deep power of joy, we see into the life of things." William Wordsworth

"Poetry is a beautiful way of spoiling prose, and the laborious art of exchanging plain sense for harmony." Horace Walpole

The challenge for today is to write an original poem inspired by this Mi Young Lee painting. It can be in any style you choose. Please post it on Mr. Linky and visit your fellow poets to read their offerings. 

9 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Susie ❤️ sharing my poem "Sentimental Shades" hope you like it. Day 22! Woooo hooo ❤️

Gillena Cox said...

This Mi Yong's art has a galactical feel to it so i'm linking my Third Planet From The Sun Collaboration
Happy Earth Day

much love...

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks for sharing, Susie.

Susie Clevenger said...

@Thanks Sanaa. Loved your poem.

@Gillena, yes it does. Happy Earth Day to you also!

@Kerry, you're welcome

De Jackson said...

Cool piece. Fun prompt. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Great prompt Susie and a fascinating piece of Art.

Susie Clevenger said...

@De Thank you!

@paul Thanks so much! I can see so much in the artwork. Amazing how many different interpretations have come from viewing it.

Outlawyer said...

Lovely piece, Susie. k.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Beautiful painting; it was interesting to engage with it.