Friday, April 7, 2017

Kerry Says ~ Let's Paint a Picture

We have reached the end of the first week of NaPoWriMo, and today I offer the opportunity of a picture prompt. I am featuring the work of two artists:

Japanese print maker, Kaoro Kawano (1916 - 1965).

Tree Girl with Woodpeckers (1960)
Kaoro Kawano
Fair Use

With the medium of wood block, Kawano produced images quite startling in their simplicity. I invite you to visit the WikiArt page which features his work, and select an image which appeals to you.

In keeping with the Japanese theme, you may like to consider the form of Tanka. Back in 2013, we were very fortunate to have the expertise of Dr Hisashi Nakamura to guide us through several steps of tanka writing, which may be found HERE.

+ + + + + + + 

Alternatively, you may find inspiration in the work of Henri Rousseau (1875 - 1910).


War or the Ride of Discord
Henri Rousseau (1894)


As a self-taught painter, Henri Rousseau was completely untrained in any established art techniques. He is best known for his naïve, or primitive jungle scenes. He also developed the painting style of portrait landscape, in which he would place a person or a couple in the foreground of a landscape painting. He may have been ridiculed during his lifetime, but he is now considered a self-trained genius, who created works of high artistic quality.

Visit the WikiArt page which has a selection of his paintings and choose one that speaks to you. No form or style is suggested here, simply the technique of Ekphrasis.

When uploading an image to your blogsite, remember that we apply the Fair Use Principles:

  • It is a historically significant artwork 
  • The image is only being used for informational and educational purposes 
  • The image is readily available on the internet 
  • The image is a low resolution copy of the original artwork and is unsuitable for commercial use



11 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hey, Magaly. I see you are up first. I thought you might share your suggestion for a thinner tanka in comments. By all means, do - I am sure there are several people who would like to try to write one.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Kaoro Kwano captured my imagination! And I think my poem must have been influenced by recent events in Syria, though it is much gentler than those deaths would have been.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Kerry ❤️ I was inspired by Henri Rousseau and his work 'The Dream' posting my poem.. as usual I am at work.. and yes will be back later to read and comment. Day 7! Woo hooo ❤️

Anonymous said...

Had to be the woodpecker tree girl for me...instant connection. Great prompt Kerry.

hedgewitch said...

My favorite sort of prompt, Kerry--and very helpful it was to budge my muse. Thanks!

Susie Clevenger said...

Kerry, thanks for the image prompt. I am having blogger issues so I will try to get everyone's poem's read.

Rommy said...

I had a bunch of issues this morning too, but was finally able to get mine up. Hopefully the problems with Blogger aren't an impediment to too many people.

Marian said...

I *love* tanka. Love!

Gillena Cox said...

Happy and peaceful Friday everyone

much love...

De Jackson said...

Oh, that tree. Have been pondering her all day. Thank you!

Cressida de Nova said...

This is my own work and I do not mind who uses it. I have no copyright on my blog. I love ekphrasis poems. Thanks for a great prompt.