Thursday, April 13, 2017

Get Listed - April Ain't Fooling edition

Brooklyn Bridge. Image- Fair Use



We've gone and made Arthur Furgurson emperor, and George C. Parker king. 

Who?

That phrase, "if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you" came into parlance due to Parker.

He was, if not the original con man, one of its more successful operators, having sold the Brooklyn Bridge, General Grant's Tomb, and The Statue of Liberty, among other properties. (For other scammers, see here.)

Furguson was merely a Scottish actor who regularly sold the White House.

Hmmmm.

Your word list for the Global / National / Earthbound (though maybe some astronauts are playing, who knows?) Poetry Writing Month 2017 is:

Wait, you believed that 'short' business? Then I have a bridge to sell you...

How to play: take at least 3 words (or reasonably variants) from the following compilation, craft into a new poem, and link via Mr. Linky below.

Please be so good as to come back and read and comment on your fellow con artists, too.

bridge, con, lie, tomb, scam, gullible, fraud, president, hustler, sucker, mark, prison


10 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

Great list... Every day when I think the news couldn't get worse, well, it does.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Michael❤️ sharing my poem "Excursion" hope you like it. I am at work, will be back later to read and comment. Happy Thursday y'all❤️

Anonymous said...

I liked this prompt. Pushed me elsewhere.

Marian said...

Yikes. :)

Friends, I have been working on this big grant that with any luck will be submitted tomorrow (Friday). Assuming it happens, I am taking a few days off and am looking forward to catching up on all your April poems. I apologize for being slow to read and comment, and can't wait to do so.

Angie said...

Thanks for the prompt Michael. I tried to change the nuance of the words you gave. Didn't feel like writing a dark poem today, but a love poem.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Tarot reading has come in handy this month. Couldn't resist another foray.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the preface, luv the list

Happy Thursday and Holy too

much love...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I am home!❤️ Heading over to read now. Day 13! Woo hooooo❤️

De Jackson said...

Awesome list! Thank you!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Interesting! I am learning to like using word lists after all.